Police Arrest 169 Persons At Newton

By Robert Decherd

Police arrested 169 anti-war demonstrators at three Newton draft boards yesterday, charging them with disorderly conduct.

In all, about 300 demonstrators-representing the Non-Violent Direct Action Group-were attempting to prevent two buses from taking 50 draftees to Boston for pre-induction physicals.

Most of those arrested pleaded not guilty and were released on personal recognizance by Judge Francis J. Larkin for trial on May 29. The mass arrest was the largest in Newton's history.

Disorderly conduct carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail or a $200 fine.

Defense Tactics

A meeting called last night at Winthrop House by the Non-Violent Direct Action Group-which coordinated, yesterday's demonstration and a similar sit-in Friday at the Boston Army Base at which 68 persons were arrested-discussed defense tactics for those arrested.

The meeting decided that the group as a whole will plead not guilty and that its defense will be based on a challenge of the applicability of the statute in question. An argument emphasizing the political nature of the demonstration will be used to support the challenge.

Attorney Michael Feldman of the Massachusetts Law Reform Committee, who represented the group in court,suggested yesterday morning that all of the defendants plead not guilty and ask for the May 29 continuance so that anyone who wishes to change his plea may do so.

An obstructive picket line was set up around the Newtonville building on Washington Street which houses all three boards (locals 115, 116, and 117) at about 6:30 a. m., and the demonstration continued until about 8 a. m.

Most of those arrested had sat down across Washington Street in front of the buses scheduled to pick the draftees up at 7 a. m. Others sat on the sidewalks and marched at either end of the building. At one point, the demonstrators completely closed Washington Street to traffic.

After police had issued three unheeded warnings to the demonstrators to disperse immediately, about 50 officers moved in and bodily removed some of the demonstrators sitting in the street. Most demonstrators, however, were tapped on the shoulder, told they were under arrest, and escorted to two awaiting school buses.

Photographed

Police photographed the arrested demonstrators as they entered the buses which took them first to the local police station for booking and then to Newton District Court for arraignment.

Calm pervaded the court proceedings, and Judge Larkin congratulated those in the courtroom-which was jammed by more than 100 spectators, mostly local students-for the peaceful way in which they conducted themselves.

When asked by Feldman whether he would release the arrested parties on personal recognizance. Larkin replied. "I would be delighted to do so."

Two law students from the Harvard Volunteer Defenders Committee-Mark W. Foster and Patrick B. O'Neal-were in court to assist the demonstrators who were arraigned.

Protestors last Thursday and Friday forced the Newton boards to close down, but they were mostly local students from Newton High School and Newton Junior College.

Among those arrested yesterday were parents, doctors, lawyers, and students from throughout the Boston area, including many high school students.