Crimson Nine Tops Cornell, 7-4: Kelly Will Pitch Against Cadets

By Robert W. Gerlach

Senior Neil Harley smashed a solo home run in the fifth and added a two-run double in the sixth to provide the margin of victory for Harvard in yesterday's 7-4 triumph over Cornell.

The Crimson evened its record in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League at 4-4. This afternoon at 1 p.m.. Harvard will host Army in a doubleheader on Soldiers' Field.

Prior to the Cornell contest, coach Loyal Park said that Harvard's major problem in a 14-6 season was the team's ability to combine strong pitching and hitting efforts. But yesterday the Crimson displayed its finest team effort of the season and won its first game at home.

Centerfielder Hurley led the team with his home run and three RBI's, but there were many other heroes in the battle. Starting pitcher Tom Kidwell held a powerful Big Red lineup in check through seven innings, and righthander Dave Fierke came on in relief in the eighth to preserve the victory.

Bottom's Up

Perhaps the most encouraging fact of the game was that the bottom half of the Crimson lineup delivered four of the Crimson's RBI's and five of the team's ten bits.

Cornell rushed ahead in the top of the second when Tom Boettcher and first baseman Fred Hoge hit back-to-back doubles, but the Crimson took command? in its turn at bat with two runs.

DeMichele led off the rally with a wall and promptly stole second base. Mike Thomas delivered the run with a double to the left-centerfield fance, and sacrifice bunts by Jack Turco and Art Serrano. (on a squeeze play) sent the Crimson ahead. 2-1.

Cornell rightfielder Ed Mahoney lost a routine fly ball in the sun in the third and before he could find the ball. Vince McGugan had stretched the error into a triple. Hurley lofted a sacrifice fly to Mahoney to score McGugan with the Crimson's third tally.

Cornell tied the game in the fourth on singles by Boettcher. Hoge, and third baseman Peter Watzka. The tie lasted only one inning as Hurley led off the bottom of the fifth with his shot over the centerfield fence.

Beating Out

A two-out rally in the fifth broke the game open for the Crimson, Thomas reached first on an error by Hoge and Kidwell helped his own cause with a run-producing single to right. After McGugan heat out a bunt. Hurley staked the Crimson to a three-run lead with a double to right. The teams exchanged scores in the seventh, but Fierke met the challenge in the eighth and ninth.

Righthanders Phil Collins and Bill Kelwill face the Cadets in the EIBL this afternoon. Kelly will be making his first start of the season after fine relief performances against Princeton, Springfield, and Brown.