Plan for Independent Sociology Department Approved by Faculty

By Carol R. Sternhell

The Harvard Faculty yesterday approved the creation of an independent Department of Sociology, effective July 1, 1970. The Department will be chaired by George C. Homans, professor of Sociology.

At present, sociology is studied within the Department of Social Relations. The establishment of the new department comes after nearly a year of discussion concerning the reorganization and possible dissolution of the Soc Rel Department.

An independent Sociology Department existed at Harvard from 1931-46. In 1946, Soc Rel-which includes sociology, social psychology, and anthropology-was founded.

"The new department was a great success," said Homans, who proposed the motion passed at yesterday's meeting. "But in the course of time Soc Rel has increased greatly in size, and the different subgroups have become more and more diverse."

"The sociologists, which form the largest single group in Soc Rel, no longer have intellectual interests exclusively with psychology and anthropology." Homans added. "We can be most effective by being independent."

(For additional Faculty business yesterday, see page 7.)

Early this year, the move of sociologists within Soc Rel to form their own department seemed as if it would mean the end of Social Relations. A plan proposed by Homans and acting department chairman Harrison C. White, professor of Sociology, called for the abolition of the department, with its Faculty being relocated in the existing Anthropology or Psychology Departments or in the new Sociology Department.

An alternate proposal, by David C. McClelland, professor of Psychology,called for an additional department of Social Psychology.

But by last month-after the approval of a separate Sociology Department by the Soc Rel Faculty March 6-social psychologists gave up plans for a separate department, and it appeared that the Soc Rel Department, despite the departure of sociologists, would stay together.

President Pusey announced at yesterday's meeting that George W. Goethals, lecturer on Social Relations, will become chairman of the Soc Rel Department, also effective July 1.

Goethals spoke in favor of an autonomous Sociology Department, saying he was "dubious at first, but now heartily supports the change."