Senior Committee Planning War Protest at Graduation

By Bennett H. Beach

The Senior Class Committee, which plans Commencement, is trying to arrange for an anti-war student speaker, a moment of silence and armbands at the June 11 ceremony to protest President Nixon's Indochina policies.

The committee, which consists of Harvard and Radcliffe class marshals and other students, discussed the ideas at a meeting yesterday with class marshals from the graduate schools.

Pusey Won't Mind

Achibald Cox '34, Samuel Williston Professor of Law, and William G. Anderson '39, University Marshal, were also at the meeting and will present the ideas to President Pusey at 10 a. m. this morning. John F. Ince '70, a class marshal at the College, said that he does not expect Pusey to object.

A primary goal is to raise money for the Peace Commencement Fund (PCF), a national fund which will support campaigns for congressional doves this fall. The armbands will be sold to seniors, who will be encouraged to donate as generously as they can in return.

No Caps and Gowns

The Fund, which was started at Yale, originally recommended that students not rent caps and gowns and that they instead give the money to PCF. This tactic would be effective both as a symbol and as a fund-raiser, they felt.

But seniors across the country have shown a reluctance to go along with this suggestion. Many do not wish to upset their parents, and some have already ordered caps and gowns. Harvard seniors are also divided on theissue, so, in an effort to make any protest a unified one, the commencement committee decide to concentrate instead on other methods.

The Fund has since shifted its focus to the raising of money at about 120 colleges which have responded favorably. The published goal is one million dollars, and Robert L. Kirkman, a Yale senior and one of PCF's founders, said last night that he expects to collect at least $100,000.

The War Only

Unlike the National Student Strike, which supported three demands including the freeing of political prisoners and an end to university complicity in the war effort, PCF and Harvard's commencement committee are focusing their activities on protesting the war only.

"It is desirable to have some viable gesture to indicate our concern over the war, and we want to do something which will unify the class," Ince explained yesterday. He said that some seniors will refuse to wear caps and gowns because of particularly strong feelings.