Blacks at Business School Strike on Racism Charge

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

Black Business School students, on strike since Monday, presented a list of specific demands at a mass meeting yesterday where they discussed campus and nationwide racism.

Afro asked that the Business School Administration:

make a public statement endorsing Afro's "efforts to help our brothers at Jackson:"

announce optional exams and no reprisals:

pay black students to consult during the summer on the issues of Business School hiring, housing, grading and placement policies.

Faculty

The MBA Faculty will discuss these demands with Afro leaders today at 2 p. m. in Baker 100. At 3:40 p. m. the Faculty will go into closed session to reach its decisions.

Lawrence E. Fouraker, dean of the Business School. said, "As I have heard Faculty members talk, there's little inclination now to set aside examinations." He added that "the black students here have continued to conduct their affairs with great dignity and sincerity."

Franklin R. An???, a member of Business School Afro, blasted the Administration for admitting more South African students than students from the rest of the continent of Africa.

The Faculty, he charged, is racist. "The Faculty itself fulfilling its lower expectation of black student's at grade time. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy," Anderson said.

Choice

"This school, because of its policies, does not intend that we leave here as black men." Anderson said. "We must either be black men or MBA's. We choose to be men." he added.

At the meeting, the five Mexicans and two Puerto Ricans at the Business School said that they unanimously endorsed the Afro strike.

A representative from first-year section J. the most radical section on campus, said that 22 the approximately 75 members of the section will "follow Afro's lead and continue the strikeas long as Afro feels it's appropriate."

The Student Association unanimously passed three resolutions yesterday stating that the Administration should investigate and respond meaningfully to complaints about discrimination. that specific findings be made available to the whole student body, and that the association "endorses the principles of the Afro strike."

A student Association report found that the Publications Board, responsible for selecting concessionaires, had voided an hour-late black student application but had approved an application from white students that was four hours late.

The report explained, however. that the Pub Board had inconsistent policies because it had operated. in the two cases, under two different chairmen. But the committees did find insidious discrimination" evolving "from an insesitivity on the part of the whole while committee."

Tough

John B. Mumford, chairman of the Student Association. said that Afro is not willing to discuss ways in which white students can get involved until Saturday from 9.a.m. to 1 p.m. This ?iming coincides with the first exam for first-year MBA, a four-hour marketing exam. Second-year students began taking their exams last Friday.

"They've drawn the line fairly rigidly to insure that the white commitment is at some expense," Mumford said.