This Is the Last Oldies Quiz of the Year

By Bennett H. Beach

Have you been "Waitin' in School" for an oldies quiz? Well, this is an oldies quiz, and all 53 questions, including the bonus, have answers. The answers will be published in Tuesday's CRIMSON.

All undergraduates at Harvard and Radclifse are eligible for the prizes, and entries may be by team or individual. All other readers are encouraged to enter, but their rewards will be solely personal ones. Decision of the judges-on eligibility, correctness of answers, and on all other issues-is, of course, final.

Entries should be brought to the CRIMSON, c/o BHB by noon Sunday. By a vote of the CRIMSON, there are certain options open to entrants. They may turn the exam answers in by noon Sunday and receive either a letter grade, a pass-fail notation, or "credit." They may also turn them in in the fall with the same three grading options. Or oldies freaks may choose to never turn in the answers. In that case, they will only receive credit.

Anyone able to answer correctly all questions will be flown to Hollywood via TWA jet for a date with Annette.

1. Exactly two weeks ago, one of our idols turned 30. It was sad for all of us, but particularly for this great singer, who headed for a lonesome town to cry his troubles away. What is his name?

2. The Beach Boys were not the only ones to sing repeatedly about water. There was a group of songs about water every year. What was Phil Phillips' contribution to this distinguished collection of discs?

3. Who tore open his shirt and showed the girls Rosy on his chest?

4. Buzz Clifford, one assumes, didn't groove to cutting lawns and washing cars. But he had to find some way to earn money for malteds and the juke box. Baby sitting proved to be the answer. He sang about one of the toddlers in a memorable tune by what name?

5. Gene Chandler recorded a popular tune about royalty. What was its name?

6. Breaking up is very hard to do, especially when you live next door to an angel. Who might have reasoned like that?

7. Many claim that James Brown is a dancer without equal, and they may be right. But there is another singer who did steps on the Dick Clark Show which might have cast some doubt over who is the best. He sang "Lonely Teardrops." Name him.

8. Who's not the kind who uses a pencil or ruler?

9. The Regents sang "Runaround," and Dion recorded "Runaround Sue" with "Runaway Girl" as a flip side. But who sang about a girl who ran away and said he wished she were there by him to end his misery? Hint: He recorded the song while he was on contract with Big Top.

10. The year was 1961. The song was "Spanish Harlem." Who was the singer?

11. Jan and Arnic had their first hit about the same time as Tom and Jerry recorded "Hey, Schoolgirl," which led to such recent hits as "Sounds of Silence," "I Am a Rock," etc. But Jan and Arnie went straight downhill after their first big record. Anyway, what was the record?

12. Fabian was known for his ability to make hits out of both sides of a new release. Perhaps his most memorable success in this department was "Hound Dog Man" and its flip side, which was

13. The army's tough. And there's no time for playing games. So when a soldier was handling a deck of cards in the chapel instead of praying or something else appropriate, the brass called the soldier in to find out why he was being a wise guy. The song was called "Deck of Cards," but how did Wink Martindale know the story?

14. There have been a number of big stomps in our time. There was the "Bristol Stomp," "Foot Stomping," then "Bongo Stomp." Which group was responsible for which song?

15. Where do all the hippies meet? The answer's in a song.

16. Billy and Sue met the first day of school, and ever since lived by the golden rule. Why?

17. The Echoes didn't call the girl they all liked "Honey," even though she was sweet, and they didn't even call her "Sweethcart" or "Angel." What did they fall her?

18. David Seville did all the chipmunk songs which we loved so much as teenyboppers. Which was the first in that series?

19. If you take the blue line out to the end, you end up in Revere by the once-condemned roller coaster. That amusement park was probably what inspired the famous singer who grew up there to later record a song about another such place. Who was this ride-lover?

20. There were the Parakeets, the Monkees, the Crazy Elephant. There was another group of this name-type which sang "I Ran All the Way Home (Just to Say I Love You)." What was the group's name?

21. Sometimes you make so many hits that no one remembers some of your first releases. Who, for example, had among their first recordings "Connie-O" and "Marlena?"

22. "Little girl he's never dreaming of you He'll break your heart, just wait and see-ce-ce." Bobby Rydell advised in a song, Name that tune.

23. Jesse Lee Turner was among the universe's most eligible bachelors ten years ago. One aggressive girl, who claimed to have four arms, three eyes, and three lips, said to Jesse, "I can really rock and swing cause I've got more of everything. Oh. Mr. Earth Man, won't you marry me?" What song told us of this dramatic proposal?

24. Bobby Vinton was the king of songs about blue things. Other great songs featuring this color were "Blue Moon" and "I'm Mr. Blue." What was Roy Orbison's contribution to this collection?

25. Who recorded "A Little Bit of Soap" many years ago on the Laurie label?

26. Whose nerves were shaken and whose brain rattled? He had sort of curly hair which was whiter than blonde, but blonder than white.

27. Once on the Dick Clark Show, construction trucks drove out on the outdoors set and occupied themselves for almost three minutes while some guitarists played "Forty Miles of Bad Road." Who was the lead guitarist?

28. If Robert Byrd wrote "Little Bitty Pretty One," who sang "Pretty Little Angel Eyes?"

29. What was the Flamingos song about climbing?

30. Whose epitath reads: "At the bottom of this mine lies a big, big man."

31. Remember on American Bandstand when some couples would start walking off the floor for the bleachers at the end of a song only to have it resume after a three-second pause? They did that the first time Dick Clark played a song by the Beaumonts. What was the name of the song?

32. Buddy Holly was one of several rock in' roll stars to die in plane crashes. How many days (counting today-Friday) has Buddy been dead?

33. Who was born in the village hidden deep in the valley among the pine trees? He was also married and buried there.

34. Dante and the Evergreens had a hit song on a science fiction topic. What was the song?

35. How long a song was "The Lion Sleeps Tonight?"

36. "The secret way you hold my hand, to let me know you understand" is a line from Tenafly, New Jersey's greatest singer. Among his hits is "I Miss You So." Who is he?

37. Which of the Everly Brothers has dark hair?

38. Not too long ago, the color-for-emotion craze began. No matter how you felt, there was a color to describe the feeling. Who sang the song that popularized the idea?

39. Which group was responsible for both "One Fine Day" and "Sweet Talkin' Guy?"

40. A lot of pseudo-oldies freaks know about "Patches" and "Laurie." But Dickie Lee had another big hit, which he sang with a Neil Sedaka-type voice. There's a freshman in Thayer North who has the tune, and there's another person here who has a copy, too. What is it?

41. It really isn't right to leave the best girls home on a Saturday night. Which guys see to it that these girls get proper attention?

42. Jerry Reed and the Hully Girlies sang their version of a lullabye on Columbia Records. Name the lullabye.

43. "I am only five years old, and my baby's three." The group that sang that song back in '61 progressed to such fine tunes as "New Girl in School" and "Dead Man's Curve." Which song did the line above come from?

44. Ethics cropped up all the time in the songs of yesteryear. At least three songs contained the word "believe" in the title: "Believe Me," "Believe What You Say," and "I Believe You." Who sang each?

45. What was the flip side of "Running Bear" by Johnny Preston?

46. What happened in chapter two of "The Book of Love?"

47. Name the song which included the following lines: "Oh when we walk, it seems like paradise, and when we talk, it always feels so nice." It's about a girl.

48. Why is heaven not the same? Why are the angels crying and saying, "It's such a shame?"

49. Who told us all about a country boy who never learned to read or write, but who could play a guitar like ringing a bell?

50. Some creatures from other planets are apparently as attuned to our music and culture as we are. The Ran-dells ran into one such alien group and couldn't name a single dance that they couldn't do. Where were these creatures from?

51. What did his baby write upon Elvis' letters?

52. Fill in the missing line in the following set:

Please send a little girl for me to thrill. A girl who wants my kisses and my arms, A girl with all the charms of you.

BONUS: What were all the words to "Happy Trails" by Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, and Trigger?