Army Tops Crimson Netmen, 5-4; Three Tied for Second in League

The Army tennis team upset Harvard. 5-4, at West Point on Saturday and spoiled the Crimson's chances of retaining sole possession of second place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League.

Dave Fish's injured foot, captain Butch Kawakami's illness, and a tiring road trip probably cost the Crimson the match, leaving them tied with Penn and Army in second place, behind league-leading Princeton.

Sky High

And, as Harvard's number two player Fish said yesterday, "Army was sky high, and we weren't."

Army won four singles matches and one doubles match. The Cadets' Bill Malkemas took the Crimson's number-one man. Bill Washauer in three sets; and Army's Jack Stevensen capitalized on Fish's lack of mobility to win at number two in three sets.

At number three, Ray Federici, unbeaten in EITL competition, won another three-set victory for the Army by beating Harvard's Chris Nielsen.

Harvard's only two victories in the singles came at four and five, as Joe Cavanagh remained unbeaten and Bill Brock swept his opponent in two sets.

After Rick Devereaux, filling in for Kawakami at number six, had lost to give Army a two-match edge, Harvard's first two doubles teams won to tie it up. Kawakami tried to ignore his illness and play third doubles with Devereaux, but the pair lost to give Army the win.

Nielsen said after the Crimson had completed their two-day two-match trip that "We kind of ruined the season."