Nine Faces Tough Tufts

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity baseball team travels to Tufts this afternoon for a game that will decide the championship of the Greater Boston League. Right-hander Tom Kidwell is scheduled to start the 3 p. m. game against the Jumbos on their Medford diamond.

The Crimson won all 6 GBL contests last year to gain its tenth league title in 17 seasons. After victories over Boston College and M. I. T. this year. Harvard dropped a 5-4 decision to B, U, last week.

Tufts. although not expected to be a top contender before the season began, now has the finest record of any Boston-area team. The Jumbos upset UMass two weeks ago, and since then the team is undefeated in eight straight games.

Unless Harvard can defeat Tufts, the Crimson's two league losses would eliminate all Harvard hopes of defending last year's title.

The Jumbos rely on an extremely strong batting attack. Against Northeastern, considered early in the season to be the GBL's best team. Tufts fell behind by five runs, only to demolish the Huskies in the last innings, 11-5.

But Harvard is also at the peak of its game. Coach Loyal Park called Saturday's two victories over Army "the team's finest games of the year."

Park credited the Harvard defense for the wins. "Our defense has really matured through the season." Park aid. "In the last three games, we've averaged three doubleplays a game, and those doubleplays are always a big break for a team."

Kidwell pitched seven innings in Friday's 7-4 victory over Cornell. Park had originally scheduled J. C. Nickens to pitch this afternoon. but Nickens threw hard in the bullpen all day Saturday. "We had him warming up in both games, so even though he didn't pitch, he threw enough for a whole game." Park said.

Two weeks ago. Harvard faced a doubleheader with Dartmouth that many expected would determine the winner of the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League. Harvard lost both games.

The GBL title is at stake today. Should Harvard lose its third crucial game, the season virtually will be over.