324 Universities Strike Nationally; Protests Expand

By Marion E. Mccollom

With 324 colleges and universities across the country on strike for the three national demands, demonstrations continued yesterday and the National Guard was called to several campuses to break up disturbances.

Kentucky Governor Louie B. Nunn ordered state police and National Guardsmen with mounted bayonets and live ammunition onto the University of Kentucky campus after students burned the Air Force ROTC building and ignored a 5 p.m. curfew.

National Guardsmen used tear gas to break up a demonstration of over 2000 University of Wisconsin students blocking traffic on campus-area streets. Meanwhile, Guardsmen were withdrawn from Kent State and the University of Maryland.

Yesterday morning, students at N.Y.U. seized three buildings, including the Courant Institute of Mathematics, which houses the university's computer center, demanding $100.000 ransom for the Black Panther Defense Fund before releasing the buildings.

Governor Ronald Reagan of California yesterday afternoon asked all seven state universities to close until Sunday, so that students could consider "the grave sequence of current events." Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes said that all Ohio universities experiencing unrest should be shut down immediately.

In Washington, D.C., students at American University blocked traffic in the northwest section of the city last night. Police used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators.

The New Mobilization Committee is calling for three days of protests, culminating Saturday in a non-violent march on the White House, which they estimate will draw 30,000 demonstrators.

Investigation of Kent State

Senate leaders of both parties asked for a Presidential-commission investigation of the Kent State killings. Meanwhile Nixon met with four Kent State students to discuss the prevention of violent campus confrontations. He announced yesterday that on Friday he will hold a television-radio press conference on the subject.

Secretary of the Interior Walter J. Hickel has sent a letter to Nixon expressing fear that some administration polices seem to "lack concern for the attitude of a great mass of Americans-our young people."

In the New England area yesterday, the B.C. faculty voted to abolish the ROTC programs on that campus.

The faculties of five Western Massachusetts colleges- Amherst, Smith. Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire and the University of Massachusetts- yesterday called for Nixon's impeachment.

In a telegram to Rep. Silvio O. Conte (R-Mass.), they charged that Nixon has failed "to uphold his constitutional duties." They also called for Agnew's impeachment for "crossing state lines with the intent of inciting riots."

Protest spread to Boston-area high schools yesterday as students from Brockton. Haverhill, and Springfield. Mass., demonstrated in support of the national demands.