500 Women Demonstrators March through Cambridge

By Judith Freedman

About 500 women marched from the Cambridge Common to Tech Square late yesterday afternoon in a demonstration sponsored by Bread and Roses for a Women's Solidarity Strike.

The City of Cambridge did not issue a permit for the march. and organize-is feared that police might try to stop it. But the Cambridge Police left the marchers alone and held back traffic as they passed. By the time the marchers reached Central Square they had a one-car police escort.

Leaflets, Stickers

The women passed out leaflets and pasted stickers on lamp posts and store windows as they marched, Demonstrators also pasted several stickers and posters on the first-floor windows of the Polaroid Building in Tech Square.

The demonstration began at 5 p.m. with a rally in the Common. One of the speakers told the women. "We are angered aboni Cambodia. but we are also enraged about what we must endure every day to survive ... The same men who enslave us also enslave people around the world." Other speakers expressed solidarity with the "Vietnamese heroines" and Panther and welfare women.

The women then marched through Harvard Square to Mt. Auburn St., chanting "Free our sisters. free ourselves." They continued through Putnam Square onto Mass Ave. many of them shouting "Off the Orson Welles" as they passed the movie theatre. The Orson Welles ran a festival of pornography films last week.

The marchers arrived at Tech Square at 6:15 p.m. and dispersed 15 minutes later to form plans for canvassing other women.