The Mail FELIX'S EVICTION

By Dorothy (CINTRA) Dunlop

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The attempt to dispossess Felix Inc., 1304 Mass. Ave., Cambridge by R. M. Bradley and Co., is a typical example of the kind of thing that has given a bad name to Harvard these last few years, and disrupted community life in Cambridge.

After fifty five years in the Square, they have been given until June 30th to leave.

Fifty five years in the Square should give one immunity to this sort of thing. The ostensible excuse is that Felix Inc. have been brought to court on several occasions for the sort of literature they were selling. Much is also made of the fact that R. M. Bradley and Co. own this location, as if that ownership gave them absolute rights, and no moral barriers existed to their doing exactly as they please.

If the owners had been given a tactful ultimatum, to this effect: "Change your literature, and make it less salacious, otherwise we may be forced to take action," this would have made sense at least, and a minimum of moral justification would exist for this sort of statement. But a little examination of the situation makes it quite apparent that this was done only in a most sporadic manner, and as a tactic, not as a means to achieve a reasonable end.

The question is, too, what is the good of the community? It seems to me, and I am certain that the majority of the population of Cambridge feels the same way, that these are good citizens, known by generations of Harvard students, and that this small store is the symbol of everything that America stands for.