Faculty Elects Seven To Fill Council Seats

By Michael E. Kinsley

Seven new members have been elected to the Faculty Council to replace six whose terms have expired and one who is leaving.

The results show no particular trend to the right or left. Perhaps the only significant fact that can be salvaged from the results is that only around 480 Faculty members returned their mail ballots this time, as opposed to 555 who voted in the first Faculty Council election last January. There are 780 Faculty members.

Even this fact didn't impress everyone. Andrew M. Gleason, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy and head of the Faculty docket committee, said, "This late in the year, it's just harder to get as good a turnout as in January."

Dunlop

Even less surprising than the results of the Faculty Council election was President Pusey's appointment Friday of John T. Dunlop, David A. Wells Professor of Political Economy, as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences beginning July 1. Dunlop has been acting Dean of the Faculty since February 1. Dean Franklin L. Ford will return next Fall from a leave of absence to resume his post as McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History.

3-Year Term

The Faculty Council is composed of four tenured and two non-tenured Faculty members each from the Humanities. Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. Beginning with this most recent election, terms in office are three years. Two seats from each area are up for election each May.

Created last Fall as one of the provisions of the Fainsod report on Faculty reorganization, the Council and its subcommittees have the power to propose and schedule legislation for Faculty consideration.

Here are the results of this month's election:

In the Humanities, James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts, was elected to replace Rogers G. Albritton, professor of Philosophy, whose term expired. Herbert Bloch. professor of Greek and Latin, was re-elected.

In the Natural Sciences, Norman F. Ramsey, Higgins Professor of Physics, and James F. Hays, associate professor of Geology, were elected to replace Gerald Holton, professor of Physics, and Ronald V. Book, assistant professor of Computer Science, whose terms expired.

And in the Social Sciences, H. Stuart Hughes, Gurney Professor of History and Political Sciences, and Archie C. Epps, assistant dean of Harvard College, were re-elected. Doris H. Kearns, assistant professor of Government, was elected to replace John Womack Jr., assistant professor of History, who will be on leave next year.