Alumni Get To Harvard For Reunion

As any Budweiser can on the street will tell you, it's "FunFest '45" time at Harvard.

Sixteen-hundred classmates, wives, and children of the Harvard College Class of 1945-representing about 40 per cent of the living members of the class-registered yesterday at the Freshman Union for their 25th reunion. Until Thursday they will party, reminisce, and possibly attend seminars about youth, drugs, student rebellion, and other similar subjects.

FunFest '45 is the biggest of 14 reunions Harvard is sponsoring from the fifth reunion of the Class of 1965 to the seventieth of the Class of 1900. Eight of the 23 surviving "naughty-noughts" will be returning for this year's festivities.

William A. Barron HI '45. FunFest chairman, said. "What we're trying to achieve is some sort of balance between having fun and learning what's on students' minds."

While reunion celebrants and student passers-by exehanged incredulous gapes yesterday afternoon. Schneider's Band serenaded outside the Union with old football favorites like "10,000 Men of Harvard," and "Mame."

Big Tippers

Many of the students made sarcastic remarks about the oldsters' politics. But one student porter, carting luggage, souvenir wastebaskets, and straw hats to the dorins where reunionites are staying, said "The conservatives are a pain in the ass to listen to but they tip bigger than anyone else. The ones with big families are the worst."

Among the notables in the class is Mitchell Goodman, a codefendant in Dr. Benjamin Spock's draft conspiracy trial. Goodman said he is not attending FunFest '45. which he called "an obscenity in a time like this," but will participate in a panel discussion at 10:45 a.m. today in Lowell Lecture Hall.

Ancien Regime

The 50th reunion of the Class of 1920 begins today. Reunion chairman Paul K. McElroy '20 said 350 people have registered for the reunion including around 180 classmates. Over 25 widows of classmates are expected to attend the reunion, as well as 33 classmates who are either widowers, bachelors, or without their wives.

"All in all." McElroy said, "The odds for the women look pretty good." M. E. K.