Harvard College Fund Newsletter Says Most Students Well-Behaved

Optimistic and resolute? At Harvard?

That's the way the Administration feels, according to a newsletter sent to potential donors by the Harvard College Fund this summer.

"We have removed from our community by orderly process," Dean Dunlop wrote, "students who engaged in violence.... The spirit is much improved. I am both optimistic and resolute."

Almost half of the newsletter consists of reflections by Chase N Feterson '52. dean of Admissions and Financial Aid. on today's students.

"It's almost embarrassing to detail how good our students are," Peterson wrote, citing high board scores and awards.

"The larger group of students has behaved wonderfully well this year," he wrote. On April 15 "we were invaded-that was no insurrection!-by out-siders," he wrote.

Super

Among Peterson's other observations: "Harvard remains a very special place." "The special quality of a Harvard education" remains. "This is an absolutely special college we have."

The newsletter appeals for gifts "to help keep this place very special." But figures comparing this year's drive with last year's show a decrease of 5.8 per cent in gifts-which totaled $2,713,000 as of May 28-and a decline of nearly ten per cent in number of donors.

The newsletter cites students as "a major reason for optimism at Harvard." Franklin L. Ford, former dean of the Faculty, listed "Harvard's two great reservoirs of strength" as the alumni and the students, who are "not only an innovating but also a steadying force."