While You Were Away... A Summer Passed Through Harvard

By Garrett Epps

The alumni have elected five new members to six-year terms on the University's Board of Overseers-including a woman for the first time in Harvard's 334-year history.

The 30 Overseers are Harvard's highest governing board. But the Board usually restricts itself to approving the decisions of the seven-member Corporation, the governing body which includes President Pusey and Treasurer George F. Bennett '33 and holds legal title to the entire University. The Overseers meet only seven times per year.

The new Board members are: Helen H. Gilbert '36, chairman of the Board of Trustees of Radcliffe College; Louis W. Cabot '43, a Boston industrialist; John J. Iselin '56, vice president of Harper and Row; Donald Kennedy '52, professor and chairman of the Department of Biological Sciences at Stanford University; and Wade H. McCree Jr., a judge at the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Detroit.

Mrs. Gilbert said of her initial nomination to the post that it reflected the changing relationship between Harvard and Radcliffe, as seen in the proposed merger of the two institutions and the beginning of coed living last term.

"I think that in the past, Harvard was seen as a man's university," she said last Spring. "The explanation for my nomination now comes with the closer relationship with Radcliffe-it has nothing to do with me personally."

Ten candidates were nominated for the Overseer elections by a committee of alumni appointed by the Overseers for the yearly job. Candidates not nominated by the committee could have placed themselves on the ballot by collecting 200 alumni signatures, but none did so.

Last year, two radical candidates-author Noman K. Mailer '43 and SDS member Henry Norr '68-ran for Overseer using the petition route. Despite a widely publicized campaign, including a telegram from Mailer to Pusey on the morning of the April 10 police raid on University Hall, both were defeated by conventional nominees.

Two New Deans

Robert B. Watson's departure as dean of Students will precipitate a major Administration shakeup this Fall, informed sources in the Administration said last month.

Two men, the sources said, will divide the duties now held by Watson: Archie C. Epps, who is presently assistant dean of the College, and Charles P. Whitlock, now assistant to President Pusey for Civic and Governmental Relations.

Epps will become dean of Students and Whitlock will assume the title of associate dean of Harvard College, a newly created post.

Watson announced last January that he will resign his post this year. In January he will become director of Athletics, replacing Adolph W. Samborski, who will retire.

Whitlock's duties in the new position will include serving as chairman of the Administrative Board, which handles routine disciplinary matters.

The post of Ad Board chairman had traditionally been held by the dean of the College.

There was no information available about possible replacements for Whitlock, who has performed the sensitive task of handling Harvard's relations with the state and federal government during the past decade.

In his post as Chairman of the Ad Board, Whitlock will decide what punishment will be meted out to students who fall afoul of city authorities. Recent Ad Board cases have included investigation of charges against four students who were accused of tapping a pay telephone to connect an extension into a headquarters of last spring's strike against the war.

The Ad Board has also punished students caught shoplifting in the Coop. But this practice is expected to end sometime this year, when the Coop will probably begin turning student shoplifters over to the police.

In the past, Watson's office has handled student housing, supervised undergraduate organizations, and set rules for Harvard's final clubs.

Administration officials declined comment earlier this month until the appointments are actually made.

Presidency Search

The individuals most frequently suggested as successors to President Pusey, who is retiring next June, are John W. Gardner, former Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, and S. I. Hayakawa, the acting president of San Francisco State College who is noted for his strong reactions against student radicalism.

These suggestions as well as about 600 others came in response to the 200,000 letters for advice in replacing Pusey sent out by the Harvard Corporation last spring.

Gardner, a liberal who has been head of the Urban Coalition and is now involved with a so-called "Third Force" political movement, gets most of his support from faculty members.

According to a story in the Boston Globe August 10, Hayakawa's popularity among alumni has disappointed several Harvard officials who are involved in the selection process.

"This shows the depth of disaffection of some of our alumni to what's been going on," one said last month. "And it shows the real misunderstanding of the alumni for what Harvard needs in new leadership at this juncture."

University officials say that Gardner and Hayakawa are just two of the 600 names being considered.

The selection committee is now narrowing this list down to about 100 names as the firs phase of the selection process which they hope to complete by Christmas.

Harvard plans to talk to various student, faculty, and alumni groups this Fall in narrowing down the present list of candidates to a small list of top choices.

Members of the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers will make the final decision.

The search for Pusey's successor has already caused the selection committee some problems. In his letter to alumni, Francis Burr, Senior Fellow of the Corporation, referred to the next President as "a man generally acceptable to the Harvard community."

This, and another reference to "a man" caused reaction among Radcliffe women who are concerned about sexism in the selection process. Burr has since stressed that his word choice was inadvertent and that several women are on the list of 600 candidates.

Moynihan to Return

Daniel P. Moynihan, assistant to President Nixon for Urban Affairs, announced July 27 that he would resign his post before February to return to Harvard.

Moynihan's decision came within the time limit of two years for Faculty members on leave of absence. Under the rule, a Faculty member may not return to his job after more than two years' consecutive leave of absence.

It was not immediately clear whether Moynihan will resume his post as Director of the Joint Center for Urban Studies or simply become a Fellow of the Center.

And word was still unavailable on the plans of Harvard's other Administration member, Henry A. Kissinger '50.

Board Rate Up

Board costs for Harvard under-graduates will rise from $720 to $800, beginning this Fall. The increase will bring the cost of a year at Harvard to $3980-$2600 for tuition, $580 for room, and $800 for meals.

Charles G. Hurlbut, director of food services, said that increased maintenance costs and higher salaries for dining hall workers had made the in-crease necessary.

And Dean May said that board costs may rise even more due to a new food plan to be considered by the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life. Under the new plan, students would be allowed to sign up for less than 21 meals a week. But the increased cost of services might necessitate higher rates for those students who still wish 21 meals, May said.

Pats to Play Here

Harvard agreed July 7 to let the Boston Patriots, who were facing eviction from Boston for lack of a suitable stadium, play at Soldiers Field this season.

The Pats will move to a new $6.2 million stadium in Foxboro in the Fall of 1971.

The University's agreement came after a three-man committee headed by George F. Bennett '33, treasurer of the University, concluded that the Foxboro stadium would proceed on schedule. The committee had previously expressed fear that, once allowed into the Stadium, the Pats would prove difficult to dislodge.

The Pats played last year at Boston College's Alumni Stadium, but B. C. officials terminated the arrangement because of overcrowding of training and locker room facilities.

The pro team will play seven home games this season.

Poll Says End the War

A mail poll by Cambridge's congressman showed that city residents favor U. S. withdrawal from Vietnam by December and legalization of marijuana.

Eighth District Congressman Thomas P. O'Neill mailed a questionnaire to each of the 150,000 households in the district, which includes all or part of Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Charlestown, East Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. Released results include most of the 20,000 responses. Cambridge's results showed that 88 per cent favored U. S. withdrawal from Vietnam according to a fixed timetable and 56 per cent favored legalization of marijuana. Other results showed that:

an overwhelming majority of voters everywhere in the district favors requiring the President to seek permission of Congress before committing U. S. troops to the defense of another country.

55 per cent of the voters in the district oppose President Nixon's proposal for an all-volunteer army.

A majority in every area favors giving the vote to 18-year-olds.

Internal Security

The House Internal Security Committee, successor to the House Un-American Activities Committee, sent a letter to dozens of Universities around the country-including Harvard-last July requesting a full list of all outside speakers who had spoken on campus during the last two years with a statement of how much each was paid and who paid them.

Committee spokesmen later said the letters were an attempt to determine what role speakers' fees play in financing allegedly "subversive" groups. The groups under investigation include SDS, the Black Panther Party, and the New Mobilization Committee to End the War in Vietnam.

Two weeks after receiving the letter, Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to President Pusey for Civic and Governmental Relations, replied that the University was "unable" to comply with the request. Whitlock's reply left open the question of whether the University-like Tufts and a number of other institutions-views the request as an attack on academic freedom.

In a letter to Rep. Richard H. Ichord (D-Mo.), chairman of HISC, Whitock said that Harvard did not have the information requested because "matters such as who is invited to speak and whether the speaker is paid (and if paid, what amount), are wholly within the control of student organizations."

Higher Education

Harvard has partially agreed to a request by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency that it report names of Pennsylvania students on state scholarships disciplined for campus disruptions or convicted for criminal offenses arising from disruptions.

The conditions state, however, that the University will report only those students who are expelled, suspended, or denied enrollment as a result of their actions in student protests.

The agency's request carried with it the threat that failure to comply would cause the termination of all scholarship aid to Harvard students from the state of Pennsylvania. At stake was about $29,600 in scholarships and another $25,000 in student loans.

The conditional agreement is in line with existing University policy of informing a scholarship donor when students receiving aid become ineligible for scholarship, Administration sources said last month.

The agreement, sent to Harvard for approval last April, originally asked that the University also supply the names of Pennsylvania scholarship students convicted of 1) criminal misdemeanors and 2) offenses against other universities.

In a letter to the agency dated June 17, President Pusey said that these two additional requirements "appear to us unadministrable since our records are unlikely to contain the information requested."

"With this qualification-which we hope will be understood and accepted-we are happy to return the agreement," the letter said.

The University was notified shortly after sending the letter that the conditions were acceptable.

On March 25, Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, notified the agency that she could not "as a matter of conscience approve such an agreement between Radcliffe and the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency." In refusing to comply, Radcliffe became one of more than a dozen institutions which rejected the request.

Spokesmen indicated last Spring that Radcliffe would replace the lost scholarship money for affected students.

Woman Professor

Annemarie Schimmel has been named professor of Indo-Muslim Culture.

Schimmel's appointment, announced in June, brings the number of women holding full professorships at Harvard to two. She will assume a chair donated by the late A. K. Ozai Durrani, a Pakistani chiefly known as the inventor of Minute Rice.

Blumenthal Flap

Richard D. Blumenthal '67 was offered, and then not offered, the post of director of Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA), the Federal anti-poverty project which functions as a domestic peace corps, this summer.

Administration sources first leaked to the press on July 1 that Blumenthal had been offered the post. Had he accepted the $38,000-a-year directorship, Blumenthal-who lived in Leverett House and was Editorial Chairman of the CRIMSON-would have become the youngest person to hold a major post in the Nixon administration.

However, after word reached reporters that Blumenthal had refused the job because he did not feel he could defend Administration policy in Southeast Asia, Donald Rumsfeld, director of the. Office of Economic Opportunity, explained that Blumenthal 1) had not really turned the job down; 2) had turned the job down for nonpolitical reasons; 3) had never been offered the job anyway.

Ford Returns

Franklin L. Ford, former dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, will return to Harvard this Fall to live in Quincy House.

Ford, who took a sabbatical leave in Europe last term, announced his resignation as Dean last Fall. During the April 1969 strike, Ford came under heavy attack from liberal members of the Faculty as a result of the publication in the Old Mole of a confidential letter to President Pusey in which he advised Pusey on ways to circumvent the Faculty's vote to curtail ROTC.

Ford was hospitalized a few days later for a mild stroke, but recovered completely before the end of the year.

He continued teaching as McLean Professor of American and Modern History even while serving as Dean.

Ford said in July that he doesn't feel that Harvard is as badly off as some have claimed. What is needed, he said, is for "Faculty and students to rally around and get on with the work."

Master of Dunster

Roger Rosenblatt, assistant professor of English, will serve as Acting Master of Dunster House this year. Rosenblatt, who until last year served as Dunster's Senior Tutor, replaces Alwin M. Pappenheimer '29, professor of Biology.

Rosenblatt is also director of Expository Writing and a member of the Faculty Council. During the 1969 Strike he served on the Committee of Fifteen, the disciplinary body which preceded the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities.

In the same announcement, the University named John R. Marquand, tutor in History, as the new Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Dudley House.

Pusey on Unrest

President Pusey told the President's Commission on Student Unrest July 20 that the major reason for student unrest is that "many of the young people have a different view of the world and our society than most adults have."

"The great majority find the present state of society quite deficient," he said, adding, "They go further, many of them, and say the world is rotten."

"Older people are impressed by the young and want to look more like them and accept their currency, which I think is unwarranted," Pusey stated.

Pusev said that students "seem to feel that if the heart is right, everything will flow from that. They denigrate the role of reason."

When Pusey called students "self-centered" and detailed a number of "hopeful" developments on campus, he met criticism from Joseph Rhodes Jr., a Junior Fellow at Harvard who is a member of the Commission.

Rhodes-whom Vice President Spiro T. Agnew had earlier sought to dislodge from the Commission-said that he was disappointed by Pusey's testimony. "Harvard has gone through a lot of personal changes. I'm concerned that he did not seem aware of them," Rhodes said.

Rhodes asked Pusey if he had any "regrets or second thoughts" about calling in police, to end the occupation of University Hall during April 1969. Pusey replied that he did not consider the question "strictly relevant."

When William W. Scranton, chairman of the Commission, replied that he thought it was, Pusey said, "If we were back in that situation, I would do it that way again."

Broken Ground

Construction began in June for the University's $24 million Science Center and is expected to last at least three years. According to Richard G. Leahy, assistant dean for Resources and Planning, the Center will satisfy Harvard's science needs "until the year 2000."

The Center itself-designed by Luis Sert, former dean of the Graduate School of Design-will cost $17.6 million, and will house virtually all the undergraduate activities of the eight Harvard Science departments. A service plant will cost $6.6 million.

Construction site is north of the Yard next to Memorial Hall.

Four Face Arrest

A Cambridge court issued warrants in July for the arrest of four suspended Harvard students accused of criminal trespass for participating in demonstrations on campus early in May.

Each is charged with criminal trespass, punishable by up to $100 fines and 30 days in jail. The four are: Thomas R. Bailey '73, Emily T. Huntington '70, Cheyney C. Ryan '70, and Daniel P. Veach '70. All are members of SDS.

To date, none of the four has been arrested.

The four were charged with trespass at one or both of two demonstrations: one, an obstructive picket at University Hall demanding full pay for striking Harvard employees and the other an obstructive picket which attempted to prevent members of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities from entering Holyoke Center.

Archibald Cox '34, Harvard's chief demonstration troubleshooter, filed the charges after consulting with administrators. He said at the time that if any other suspended students were at the demonstration, he "would presume" that they would be charged as well.

Huntington said that if arrested the four would present a political defense. "We're going to try the court and the University for their racism."

Gifts Fall Short

Regular gifts to Harvard fell 2.2 per cent during the past academic year, the University announced last month.

Gifts totaled $5.753, 812 from 47,372 alumni, parents, friends, and corporations. The total was $132.132 less than the $5,885,944 raised in 1968-69.

The "annual" gifts included in the figure are generally unrestricted and can be used for current expenses.

With faculty budgets especially tight now, annual gifts are particularly important. But the stock market plunge and general dissatisfaction with universities had been expected to cause a drop in giving, and University officials were pleased the drop was not larger.

President Pusey said in a statement that "this continuing strong support, particularly from the alumni, shows an intelligent understanding of the problems we face and the efforts we are making to overcome them, whether or not the alumni always agree with our actions."

'Optimistic, Resolute'

Optimistic and resolute? At Harvard?

That's the way the Administration feels, according to a newsletter sent to potential donors by the 'Harvard College Fund early in the summer.

"We have removed from our community by orderly process," Dean Dunlop wrote, "students who engaged in violence. . . The spirit is much improved. I am both optimistic and resolute."

Almost half of the newsletter consists of reflections by Chase N. Peterson '52, dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, on today's students.

"It's almost embarrassing to detail how good our students are," Peterson wrote, citing high board scores and awards.

"The larger group of students has behaved wonderfully well this year," he wrote. On April 15 "we were invaded-that was no insurrection!-by outsiders," he wrote.

Cereal Clash

Frederick J. Stare, head of the Department of Nutrition at the School of Public Health, thinks shredded wheat is good for you, and he told a Senate subcommittee so last Aug. 4.

But Jean L. Mayer, professor of Nutrition, disagreed in front of the same subcommittee the following day.

The committee, which was studying the problems of consumers, held hearings on the nutritional value of dry breakfast cereals during the summer. The hearings opened in late July with testimony by Robert Choate, an independent nutritional expert, that dry cereals contain little nutritional value and do not contribute to a good breakfast.

Scientists representing the cereal companies counterattacked soon afterward.

Appearing with the director of research at the Quaker Oats Co., Stare said that the chart failed to evaluate the cereals "the way 95 per cent of breakfast cereals are consumed, that is, with milk."

Mayer, who served as chairman of the White House Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Health last December, disagreed the next day and called for restrictions on cereal advertising by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Federal Communications Commission.

In a letter to the subcommittee, Mayer suggested that food advertising might be monitored by an impartial committee of nutritionists, doctors, and educators.

More Rioting

Harvard Square became a scarred battleground this summer as Cambridge youths trashed store windows and skirmished with police on several separate occasions.

The disturbances led to a crackdown on street people in the area and turned Harvard Square into the most polarized neighborhood in the city.

On the night of July 25, a group of 200 caused minor property damage in the Square before police from Cambridge, Boston, and the Metropolitan District dispersed them with nightsticks and tear gas.

Following the incident, the Cambridge City Council imposed a 9 p. m. to 8 a. m. curfew on Cambridge Common to prevent groups from gathering or sleeping there.

Ten days later, a crowd of 100 gathered for a planned "block party" on the Common at 9 p. m. For two hours, nothing happened until 25 of them charged into the Square and were routed by 60 city police.

On both occasions, police moved through Harvard Yard to outflank the youths. City officials had warned the University beforehand that police would use the Yard "if necessary," and told police to do so without further notification to Harvard.

Then, on September 4, 50 police cordoned off the Square and raided the Common, arresting 20 youths on drug and disorderly conduct charges. Officials said that federal narcotics agents had been watching the area for several weeks and participated in the raid.

The Square's merchants, badly shaken by three trashing episodes since last Spring, met after the first disturbance and "asked police to start redressing the balance to some extent," as Alexander Zavelle, manager of the Coop and spokesman for the merchants put it.

Some stores have been hit very hard by the trashing; Saks Fifth Avenue, for example, was closed for a week after the July 25 incident and has suffered $40,000 damage since the Spring.