Two New Restaurants Open in the Square

By Melanie T. Mason

The Bick is gone, but two new restaurants, with even better names, opened in the Square while you were away for the summer-Hungry Charley's and Omnivore.

Hungry Charley's opened on September 3, where the Waldorf Cafeteria used to be, and serves-hamburgers, hot dogs, and "Hungrys,"' which are baked submarine sandwiches. Another specialty is apple beer.

Hungry Charley's business is "excellent," according to Richard Stasiak, its manager. His customers, he says are "all freaks, I think, but, you know, good freaks."

Omnivore

Omnivore is on Linden Street, where the Red Caboose was last spring, and serves mostly subs-all different kinds. Business is good there, too, says Joel Feltman, the owner, who opened the restaurant last June.

"I'm appealing to just a hungry person," Feltman says, but five pinball machines and two other games called "Missile" and "Motorcycle" help to attract customers. In a couple of weeks he plans to start a delivery service.

At Hungry Charley's people are welcome to come in and read and study over a cup of coffee, Stasiak says. He is also happy to have any posters or advertisements tacked to his cork walls, as long as they're "non-political and non-profit."

Omnivore is open from 10 a. m. to 2 a. m. every day. Hungry Charley's opens at 7 a. m. (except on Sundays, when it opens an hour later) and serves breakfast. It closes to midnight on week nights and at 2 on Fridays and Saturdays.