Education For Action To Fund Term Work

By Bruce E. Johnson

Education for Action, a student-run program which sponsors independent volunteer work by Harvard and Radcliffe students, has announced that it will begin funding proposals for term-time social projects.

"We hope to enable more students to become involved in action which can bring about significant social change," said Judith Newman, project director of Education for Action (E4A). Previously, the group funded volunteer proposals for summer projects but did not give financial backing to its student volunteers who worked in programs during the school year.

Field Work

"With projects during the year, students can tie in field work with their classroom experience, if what they are learning in classes is relevant," she added.

The grants are designed to assist students who would otherwise be unableto engage in social action programs by providing them with limited financial backing. Deadline for submission of proposals is February 8.

In the past, summer projects which E4A has funded have included filmmaking classes for Navajo Indians, drug education programs in Bedford-Stuyvesant, rehabilitation by community craftsmen of low-income housing in the South End, distribution of fortified wheat to 52,000 Tunisians, and draft counseling in Cambridge.