Council Debates; Plows No Snow

By Joyce Heard

The Cambridge City Council last night held its annual "What can we do about the snow" meeting and as usual came up with several resolutions but no solution to the snow-clogged streets.

James Cassidy, president of the Public Works' Union said at the meeting, "The city does not want to use public works employees to remove the snow. That's why we have contractors. There are seven new trucks in the city of Cambridge that could be turned into plows and the Union would be happy to run them."

So far this year the City has spent $50,000 hiring contractors to remove snow. Last night the Council voted to investigate the possible use of more city trucks to plow snow, and to look into the question of approximately 30 plow attachments which were allegedly stolen from the City. Several speakers hinted that the contractors might have stolen the plows, valued at $1,000 apiece.

The Council also ordered Corcoran to negotiate a new contract with DPW workers as soon as possible. The DPW contract ran out December 31.

On December 24 Corcoran issued an injunction ordering the Public Works Department Union to work overtime on snow removal. Cassidy last night denounced the manager for this action saying, "You made a proper fool of yourself by sending us that injunction as a Christmas card. We never refused to work overtime."

Members of the Council also pointed out that the towing program during snow emergencies is not adequate to allow for thorough plowing. During the first storm this year only 90 cars were towed by the City.

The Council also passed a motion ordering the Traffic Department to draw up a plan for parking on only one side of the street from November to April.