Nelson Claims Phoenix Story Is Libelous

Steve Nelson, a candidate for the City Council of Cambridge, yesterday said he plans to sue the Phoenix after the November elections for publishing "several, malicious, erroneous and libelous statements" about him in connection with the current campaign.

The controversial statements--part of a resume of each of the council candidates in the Oct. 19 issue of the Phoenix--are:

"In an appeal to this constituency, Nelson wrote a letter to the Cambridge Chronicle earlier this year arguing that students should not be given the right to vote in Cambridge.

"Nelson ran in 1967. At that time, he talked of forming an alliance with Harvard Square business interests....Nelson managed to piss off most community organizers in the city."

Nelson claims that the two paragraphs are "completely untrue." In his letter to the Cambridge Chronicle, Nelson wrote: "The mere fact of living in a dorm shouldn't automatically disqualify a student from voting. The critical question is whether he establishes a new residency here by becoming part of this community. The mere fact of being here and wanting to vote is not in itself enough to make on a resident of Cambridge."

Wendell' Smith, a candidate for the council who is on the Phoenix payroll, has continued to write on politics for the paper. Nelson alleges that this is a conflict of interest and an overextension of the freedom of the press.

Harper Barnes, editor of the Phoenix, said during a telephone interview yesterday: "We avoided having him (Wendell) write about competitors in the council race."

Regarding Nelson's possible libel suit Barnes said, "Either he (Nelson) is doing it for a joke or as a campaign ploy--he might be trying to get publicity."