'Cliffe Hockey Team Loses To Holyoke, 1-0

Playing without several members of its first string, the Radcliffe varsity hockey team lost its first game in four years to a tough Mount Holyoke squad on the victor's field last Tuesday.

Holyoke's right inner Allison Walsh scored the game's only tally on a fast break past the Radcliffe defenders. Her team dominated the first half of the game and put heavy pressure on the scrappy Radcliffe defense as they adjusted their passing to the grassy turf.

The substitution of Sally O. Foster at half-back for the 'Cliffe and Holyoke's loss of Walsh combined to bring about a Radcliffe rally in the second half. Although their passing was less erratic, the 'Cliffe eleven threw away scoring opportunities on needless offside penalties. 'Cliffe offensive stalwart Nancy Cochran rushed the goal twice, but was unable to score.

Several Radcliffe players put the blame for the team's poor performance on the frequent fouls called on their team. They felt this was caused by the rougher play which occurs when Radcliffe scrimmages Harvard men.

Because of this, Mary G. Paget, Radcliffe Co-ordinator of Sports, has announced a policy which discourages participation by Harvard men on Radcliffe teams by permitting men to fill in only as needed on second teams.

During half-time, Radcliffe's Belgian coach. Danny the Red, questioned referees on their frequent penalty calls. Officials responded with noticeably less use of the whistle during the second half.

The team plays Jackson at home today on the Radcliffe quad at 4 p.m. In their first game of the season Radcliffe tied Wellesley 1-1.