Dartmouth Contemplates Coeds, 4 Term System

Dartmouth College may become coed next year if a plan for instituting a year round semester schedule is approved by the Board of Trustees in November.

As part of the Committee on Year Round Operation (CYRO) plan, which has already been approved by the Dartmouth faculty by a 158 to 44 vote, women will be admitted to Dartmouth starting next year in a ratio to men of one to three. Eventually Dartmouth will have an enrollment of 3000 men and 1000 women.

To accommodate the slightly increased enrollment, regular classes will be held during the summer as part of a fourth semester. There are currently three semesters of nine weeks each.

To insure a sufficient number of high quality courses during the summer term, all students will be required to attend one summer semester.

To graduate, students will have to earn 33 credits, a reduction from the present 36. This means that the normal course load will consist of three courses per semester for 11 terms. There will be no extra charge, however, if a student takes tour courses a term, tuition will be charged on the basis of terms in residence. Students will also have the option of taking only two courses.

Opposition arose to the plan from several professors who preferred to see a reduction in the number of men in order to admit more women.

Charles I. Wood '55, professor of history at Dartmouth and chairman of CYRO, said yesterday that, "the year round program is apt to change Dartmouth more than co-education." He pointed out that Dartmouth students could reduce their costs by $1200 to $1500 by attending the college for 11 semesters instead of 12.