McGovern: 'Return to Robin Hood'

By Patti B. Saris and David F. White

Senator George McGovern (D.-S.D.) announced that he would grant amnesty to all draft resisters if he were elected president, in a speech last night before the Harvard Law Forum.

"It I am elected president. I would not only bring an end to the war in Vietnam, but I would also declare a general amnesty for all those who have stood up against it," the western Senator said to an overflow crowd at Rindge Technical Auditorium.

McGovern--in a speech which could aptly be entitled "The Robin Hood Address"--denounced the inequality in income distribution in the U.S. and proposed a domestic program for a "general reordering of the nation's tax structure."

"I think perhaps it's time to read again the story of Robin Hood who, in the tradition of Sherwood Forest took from the rich and gave to the poor," McGovern mused.

Excess Profits

"I would institute an excess profits tax on windtall profits resulting from wage and price control and would also increase the tax on millionaires." McGovern added and referred to the oil import quota as "Robin Hoodism in reverse."

He also condemned big business for the "destruction of our environment," and, referring to the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill, said. "This spill seen around the world damaged beaches and destroyed animals and harmed the property and beauty of the surrounding areas. This is one reason why I have introduced legislation to give individuals the federally guaranteed right to sue polluters."

Calling it a "disgrace" that there are so few women on the Harvard faculty. McGovern said. "President Bok is addressing himself to that problem--I wish him well--and I think there should be a man in the White House who will deal with the problem of women's rights."

"We need a president dedicated to placing of women not only in the courts but also in important cabinet positions." McGovern said and in an interview after the speech committed himself to appointing a woman to the Supreme Court if elected President.

McGovern--decrying U.S. involvement with dictatorial governments around the world--said. "It is time for a country that stands for the dignity of man to put an end to aid to military dictatorships in Vietnam, Greece, and Pakistan."

He also called for expanded G.I. benefits, a "realistic" minimum income tax, more stringent inheritance taxes and greater consumer protection.

Before a sympathetic audience--led in its enthusiasm by George Wald and Mary I. Bunting--he answered charges of a "one issue candidacy." "It is better to be a one issue candidate than a no issue candidate.