Booters Drop No. 1 Rank in 5-2 Loss

Startzell Leads Penn With Two Goals

By M. DEACON Dake, Special to the Crimson

PHILADELPHIA--Completely dominating mid-field play and outshooting the hobbled Crimson, 18-4, in the second half, Penn's soccer team broke a 2-2 tie and went on to rout Harvard, 5-2, last night at Franklin Field.

For Harvard, ranked top in the nation, the loss broke the Crimson's 27-game regular season and 17-game Ivy League winning streak.

A crown of 11,500, the largest audience to view an intercollegiate soccer match in the U.S., watched as injuries completely destroyed any Harvard chance for a victory.

Captain Charlie Thomas, Felix Adedeji, Chris Wilmot and Norie Harrower were all hurt during the game. Adedeji and Thomas were used sparingly in the second half and their loss completely hobbled the Crimson offense.

Penn scored first when All-American Stan Startzdll scored his first goal of the year on a low-rebound shot after a corner kick. Two minutes later. Harvard's Chris Papagianis took a pass from Bill Kydes and drilled a shot past Quaker goalee Jim Miller.

Penn countered on a goal by Barry Pritchard, and Papagianis knotted the score with six minutes left on a head to the corner of the net. Penn outshot Harvard in the first half, 24-11.

In the second half, injuries started to haunt Harvard and the game was decided. The Crimson's vaunted defense was riddled with a shot after shot as Penn's attack took command.

"We won it in the second half where we definitely outconditioned you." Penn Coach Bob Seddon said. "And Felix getting hurt made it our ball game."

Penn used a 4-2-4 attack and employed a sweeper for the first time this year. The Quakers moved Startzell up to the front line and the senior responded by leading the assault with two goals and two assists.

"His first goal in the second half was the turning point in the game." Harvard Coach Bruce Munro said. "Injuries caught up to us and we were really hurting in mid-field. Penn just dominated the game and played beautifully."

Following Startzell's goal, sophomore Larry Houston, who Seddon called the difference in the ball game, scored on a pass from Startzell to make the score 4-2 at the end of three periods.

The match was iced when sophomore Steve Baumann scored with 15 minutes left on an assist from Startzell.

"To look back at the game, it was a disaster. Everyone on the team was hobbling around," Wilmot said.

Harvard goalee Shep Messing played a good game but he was bombarded by just too many Quaker shots.

"They were excellent, they used everything they had and were completely unselfish." Messing said. "It's obvious to say that we were not up to par, but that should take nothing away from Penn's victory."

With Harvard quickly growing tired in the second half, the outcome was decided by the fourth quarter as Penn controlled the ball consistently in the Crimson end.

"We were just beating them to the ball." Startzell saad. "It was desire. We just wanted it more than they did." Tri-captain Tom Liebermann said. "It was about time for them to lose, and we were the only ones who could do it." Soccer Standings   W  L  T Harvard  3  0  0 Penn  3  0  0 Cornell  2  1  0 Brown  1  1  1 Yale  1  1  1 Columbia  1  2  0 Dartmouth  0  3  0 Princeton  0  3  0