Harvard and M.I.T. Share Computers; Will Save Over One Million Dollars

By Patti B. Saris

Harvard and M.I.T. will combine their computer centers this fall in a merger operation which will save the universities over half a million dollars each.

"The merger came as a result of serious financial losses for both institutions. The new joint facility will provide 'batch processing' computer facilities for both schools and will also keep the costs down," Weston Burner, Director of the M.I.T. Information Process Center, said yesterday.

The joint center--which will open on October 22--consists of two separate computer locations. The main processor is located at M.I.T., the smaller one at the Harvard Computation Center on 33 Oxford Street.

Harvard initiated the merger plans last December after experiencing monthly losses of over $40,000. Continuing the separate centers--whose services were only half utilized--would have meant a joint deficit of about $1.2 million dollars this year.

Plans for the merger continued through the winter, and on May 27--after a meeting between President Bok and M.I.T. President Jerome Wiesner, the Deans' Committee for Information Technology at Harvard approved the merger.

The two universities will share the usage and the coasts of the computer center equally. Each institution will provide for its own user services through its own center.

"The two centers will be governed by a joint policy board of six Harvard and six M.I.T. representatives," John E. Butler, director of the Office for Information Technology, emphasized.

M.I.T. Cheaper

Explaining why M.I.T. was chosen as the major site of computer activity, Butler said. "The main frame was located at M.I.T. because it is cheaper. M.I.T. has three computers on the same floor and this will enable us to cut personnel costs."

A study has shown that the central facility can be run for $1.3 million with additional amounts of about $1 million for user services. The previous budget for each separate center was $1.7 million.

The new equipment consists of an IBM 370--155 and an IBM 370-145. The main processor will be rented from IBM for $75,000 a month.

Microwavers

The Harvard Computer Center will send its computer work to the unit center at M.I.T. where it will be processed and sent back.

The information will be relayed by telephone wires and by micro waves between the Information Processing Center at M.I.T. and William James Hall.

The manager of the computer centers will necessitate a personnel turnover in both computer centers. At Harvard 11 employees were notified that their employment at the computer center will end in November.

"Since there will be more processing at M.I.T., they will have higher personnel needs." Butler said, adding that five vacancies at the M.I.T. center will be made available to the displaced Harvard personnel.

"Based upon available and anticipated openings, the Personnel Office hopes to be able to place most if not all 11 employees at either Harvard or M.I.T.," Edward W. Powers, Associate Director of Personnel, said yesterday