Radcliffe Ties Pine Manor

CHESTNUT HILL--Behind 1-0 in the closing seconds of Tuesday's game at Pine Manor, the Radcliffe hockey team capitalized on an error by the opposition goalie to tie the score at 1-1 just before the final whistle ended the game.

With 30 seconds left to play, scoring ace Sally Foster misfired a pass from outside the striking circle that headed straight for the goal. Shots on goal must be taken from inside the striking circle.

But PM's goalie, not realizing that the shot wouldn't count, came out of the goal to stop the pass. She failed to clear the ball to the side, leaving an open shot for right wing Jane Lord.

On an attempted loft shot, Lord overran the ball and fell, knocking it back to Foster. Foster, now inside the circle, lifted the ball over Lord and the goalie's outstretched pad for the tying goal.

After the game, Coach Den Curtis and team members agreed that the game was by far the best played of the season.

Fast forward lines, tight defense, crisp passing and extensive use of the wings kept the contest wide open and exciting.