Dartmouth to Admit Women in Fall '72

Dartmouth yesterday became the last Ivy League college to admit women when its board of trustees approved enrollment of 1000 women beginning in the fall of 1972.

The decision, announced yesterday by Dartmouth President John G. Kemeny, follows a series of polls which indicated student, faculty and alumni favor the introduction of women to the campus.

There are 150 women now attending Dartmouth on a 12-college exchange program with several Seven Sister schools. The eventual male-female ratio is expected to be 3-1.

The admissions office at Dartmouth has already accepted applications from women in anticipation of the trustees' decision, which also authorized a year-round operational plan in conjunction with coeducation.

No cutback in male enrollment

Dartmouth anticipates no cutback is the number of male freshmen to be admitted under the new system, but instead will require every undergraduate to attend one summer semester. This will distribute the student load, circumventing the need for added facilities to house the extra 1000 students.

The board's action came after more than two years of formal study and discussions by trustees, faculty, alumni and students, and nearly four years of student campaigning for coeducation.