Radcliffe Graduates Gain Vote

The Harvard Board of Overseers votes yesterday to allow Radcliffe alumnae to vote in election for member of the Board of Overseers. Fifteen thousand Radcliffe alumnae will join 110,000 Harvard graduates in choosing five new Overseers this spring.

The legislation is a "very sensible move," Daniel Steiner '54, secretary of the Overseers' Hoguet Committee, which made the recommendation, and general counsel to the University, said last night. He added that he didn't know of any opposition to the enfranchisement, which he said was placed before the Overseers on the unanimous recommendation of the Committee.

President Bok and the Fellows of Harvard College both approved the proposal last month. The Radcliffe Council and the Radcliffe Alumnae Association Board of Management also supported the measure.

Although Radcliffe alumnae were unable to vote until now, they have been permitted to serve as members of the Board of Overseers. In 1970, Harvard alumni chose the first woman Overseer when they elected Helen H. Gilbert '36 to the Board. Mary Bundy was elected the following year.

The Overseers also voted to award Harvard degrees retroactively to Radcliffe students who graduated before 1963. Radcliffe students who graduated after that date originally received Harvard degrees. The provision was included because of a Massachusetts state law which says that only Harvard degree holders may vote for Overseers.

The committee, which is chaired by Robert L. Hoguet '31, has been studying the procedures for nominating and electing Overseers since last June. Hogue't committee initiated the request that Radcliffe students be allowed to vote when it sent unanimous recommendation to Bok and the Harvard Fellows that October.