Poloists Seeded Fourth in NCAA

The Harvard water polo team was edged out of third place last weekend during the New England Championship Tournament held at the IAB. At the end of the tournament, Harvard and Brown tied for third place with 1-2 records. Brown was awarded third place over Harvard because of a better over-all goal average.

Harvard captain Mike Graft said yesterday, "It was a very fine tournament because all the teams were about equal in strength."

Caught Up

Harvard has finished first in the tournament for the last several years. "Harvard used to be a real strong team every year, but the other teams have finally caught up." Graft said. "Individually, I think we are better than any other team, but it hurts when you're missing some of your best players," Graft added. He was referring specifically to Harvard's top scorer Peter Kellogg, who was unable to play in the first two games of the tournament.

Harvard will open the NCAA finals against Yale this weekend in New Haven. "We hope to finish in third place, even though we are now seeded fourth because of the tournament this last weekend," Graft said.

Yale hasn't been defeated all year and has played tougher opponents. "We should do pretty well against them considering we don't have the coaching they do. Water-polo is a varsity sport at Yale and so they get support from the college. We're a club and get no direct support from Harvard," Graft said.