Booters Hold Top Spot Despite Defeat by Penn

Harvard's varsity soccer team retained unanimous hold on the number one ranking in New England despite its 5-2 loss to Penn last weekend. The Crimson received all 12 first place votes and appears a cinch to receive an invitation to defend its NCAA District I title later this month.

The surprise of the week was Tuft's victory over second-ranked Wesleyan, 5-3. The Jumbos, led by sophomore Gabriel Gomez, recorded their eighth consecutive win of the season before falling to Amherst, 1-0, in overtime. Despite the loss, Tufts jumped from fourth to second in the New England ratings.

Brown continued its mediocre season with a 2-2 tie to Princeton last weekend, but the Bruins held on to third place in the standings and appear to have a playoff berth reserved for the team.

Wesleyan and Williams appear to be battling for the fourth and final playoff berth, to be awarded in the next few days. Wesleyan held on to fourth place with a win in overtime over Southern Connecticut State, last year's playoff entrant, while Williams held on to fifth after with a tie with seventh ranked Springfield, 1-1. New England Rankings 1. Harvard  (6-1-0) 2. Tufts  (8-1-0) 3. Brown  (5-3-2) 4. Wesleyan  (7-2-0) 5. Williams  (5-0-2) 6. Bridgeport  (8-4-0) 7. Springfield  (7-3-1) 8. Vermont  (9-2-0) 9. Massachusetts  (5-0-2) 10. New Haven  (10-2-1)