Army Track Meets Harvard Today

The undefeated Harvard indoor track team faces Army in a traditionally important meet under the bubble today at 4:30 p.m.

Harvard Coach Bill McCurdy said of the meet, "Ever since the recent history of meeting has started, this has always been one of the toughest ones on the schedule for both teams and usually has been one right down to the wire... There seams to be no reason to suspect that Saturday won't be as tight a thing as ever."

The Crimson expects to have an advantage in the field events. Sophomore Leon Sharpe should win both the triple jump and the high jump, but Harvard has no depth behind him. Second Joe Naughton is the favorite for the shot put and sophomore Jay Hughes, the lone 35-pound weight entrant, should give him support.

The high jump is an evenly matches event which could decide the outcome of the meet. The Crimson thinclads have senior Ed Baskauskas, a double-winner in the meet against Boston University, and junior Bill Bihrle in the high jump. The pole vault depends on whether sophomore Jim Kleiger, who had a summer knee operation, can regain the 16-foot form that he had as a freshman.

McCurdy feels Harvard has the advantage in the field events: it's at a disadvantage in the running events, he said. Army should win the first two places, and possibly the third, in the 60-yard dash. The cadets are strong in the 600-yard and 1000-yard runs, where Harvard has suffered injuries to Nick Leone and Rick Melvoin. The hurdles should be close with junior Dewey Hickman and senior Del Maughan running for the Crimson.

John Quirk, Jim Keefe and tom New should give Harvard strength over Army in the mile-run and sophomore Rick Rojas, senior Mike Koerner and sophomore Fred Linsk have had fast, early season times in the two-mile run.

In the Crimson's only previous action it trounced B.U. under the bubble. Harvard had many outstanding performances, but the meet was billed by McCurdy as "merely a warm-up" for the meet against Army.