Sargent Names Cronin State Education Secretary

Joseph M. Cronin '56, associate dean of the Ed School, was appointed as the first Massachusetts secretary of Education yesterday afternoon.

He will resign his post at Harvard sometime before he is sworn in as Secretary of Education after the first of the year.

More Active Role

Cronin said that he was looking forward to taking a more active role in educational policy-making. "In the past, I have made studies and recommendation, but now, I have a chance to do something about the recommendations I made," he said.

Governor Sargent said that Cronin, who in the past has served as a consultant to the Massachusetts Board of Education and has conducted studies of the Boston and Malden school systems, satisfied his desire for a man familiar with the Massachusetts educational system.

The office of Secretary of Education was created in April as part of an administrative reorganization aimed at reducing waste and duplication. The post, drawing a $35,000 annual salary, was the last of ten new State cabinet posts to be filled.

Handle the Budget

Cronin's primary duties will be to handle educational budgeting and to act as chief educational advisor to the Governor.

Nine government agencies concerned with elementary, secondary and higher education, which formerly reported directly to the Governor, will now be channelled through the office of the Secretary of Education.