Thinclads Are Big Favorites Tonight Over B.C. at Bubble

By E.j. Dionne

The undefeated, untied Harvard track team meets Boston College at 6 p.m. tonight at the bubble, and the Crimson is expected to take the meet without too much trouble.

The Eagles have a 1-1 record on the year. In their last outing on Saturday, they lost 65-44 to the University of Rhode Island. They won their first meet 62-42 against MIT.

The Crimson is expecting strong performances from Leon Shape in the long jump and triple jump, Jim Kleiger in the pole vault, Rick Melvoin in the quarter mile, and (of course) John Quirk in the 1000.

B.C.'s strength comes in the sprints and the weights. Don Schneider, the Eagles' leader in the 100, was the IC4A champ last year. He'll face a challenge tomorrow, however, from the Crimson's Bailee Reed, who has thus far won two upset victories in as many meets.

One of tomorrow's more interesting races is shaping up in the hurdles. Dewey Hickman, victorious last week against Army, may be facing a long time rival in the person of John Bykowsky.

Bykowsky attended St. Joseph's High School in Montvale, New Jersey, and has beaten Hickman in every race he's run against him. The streak goes back to Dewey's senior year at Boy's High School in Brooklyn. "It's not that he's better than I am," Hickman said last night, "I just haven't beaten him yet."

"I'd be happy to see him tomorrow. I look forward to whipping him," he added. There remains some doubt as to whether Bykowsky will be starting for the Eagles. Harvard's Del Ray Maugham is also expected to be strong in the hurdles.

Another Eagles standout is Francis Xavier "Mickey" McQuade. McQuade was the leading weight man for the Portsmouth Priory School in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, and has continued in that capacity at B.C. McQuade throws both the shot and the 35-lb. weight. He is expected to win the weight, and give Joe Naughton serious competition in the shot.

Coach Bill McCurdy said last night he expected a Crimson win and added that the squad had been encouraged by its victory over Army. "Last Saturday we withstood the assault of warlike people. We successfully upheld the bastion of intellectualism. We face a similar problem tomorrow: we have to win it for religious freedom."