OFFENSIVE DANGERS

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In an article in the Crimson for Saturday, 20 November 1971, entitled "Neurosurgeons Point Out Dangers In Harvard Football's Offensive Play", the author, Samuel Z. Goldhaber stated that Dr. Francis Rockett, neurosurgeon, Dr. Salvatore Mangano and I were critical of Coach Restic and his staff for teaching "spearing".

This is absolutely untrue. In answer to a direct question from Mr. Goldhaber, he was informed that Harvard Coaches DO NOT teach "spearing" in any form, but try to eradicate the practice when it has been learned in high school. Thomas B. Quigley, M.D.   Clinical Professor of Surgery   Surgeon, University Health Services

When I interviewed Dr. Quigley, he told me that the team physicians don't do the coaching and that the coaches don't practice medicine. Therefore, when I revealed that Harvard coaches this season have in fact taught a modified type of spearing, I relied not on any physician's statement but on the following detalled account of All-Ivy guard Jerry Hevern.

Hevern described the active pass blocking which offensive line coach George Karras taught this year: "As the opponent comes toward you, you walt in a set position. The key to this is patience. At the next stage, when he's just about on you, you deliver an upward thrust with your head and your helmet as the primary weapons. You are taught to aim for his chin."   Samuel Z. Goldhaber