RUS Schedules Vote On New Constitution

Radcliffe students will vote next week on the adoption of a new constitution redefining the goals of the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS).

The constitution puts a new emphasis on issues that concern women and moves away from the past definition of RUS as a student government organization.

A two-thirds majority with at least 50 per cent of the students voting is necessary for ratification.

"Since RUS formed, many of its functions have changed." Ann Glendening '72, vice president of RUS, said. "RUS is now trying to become a lobbying group and a social service organization for women and the new constitution makes this purpose more explicit."

The new constitution provides for a RUS representative from each Harvard Houses as well as one from every Radcliffe dormitory. It states that elected members should present all opinions of people they represent to the organization.

Other important sections of the constitution clarify procedures for amendment, restate the policy of sending two representatives to Radcliffe governing boards and change the way members of the executive committee are chosen.

Glendening stressed the increased need for RUS since the non-merger with Harvard. "Women are a minority and we must stick together," she said.