Council Airs New Housing Proposal

By Susan F. Kinsley

The Freshman Council last night added an eighth proposal to its list of housing plans to accomodate the change in size and male-female ratio of the Class of '76.

The proposal recommends that at least 300 of the male freshman next year live at Radcliffe and 250 freshman women live in the Yard, in line with the findings of a recent poll of the freshman class which indicated that freshman preferred mixing of sexes over mixing with upperclassmen.

Last night's meeting--the second in two days sponsored by the Radcliffe Union of Students--drew only 12 observers. Dean Epps attended the entire meeting, and Radcliffe President Mary I. Bunting came in an hour after it began.

Disaster

"If the University is serious it will have to move on building new housing," Epps said last night. "I don't see any movement on the problem, and it's going to be disastrous if so action is taken."

Seven other proposals were suggested by the Freshman Council in its meeting on Monday night. All propose various methods of handling the predicted influx of freshmen, either by letting Harvard freshmen spill into the Radcliffe Houses, equalizing the male-female ratio in all freshman housing, or setting up a special women's dormitory in the Yard.

The proposals will be submitted to the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life.