INSIDIOUS IMPLICATIONS

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Certain faculty members have signed a statement appearing in the Crimson Monday, November 29, concerning Professor Richard Herrnstein which we find insidious in its broad implications about scholarship and its relation to politics. We ask a clarification of their position on four questions:

1. Do they believe that Professor Herrnstein's article in The Atlantic Monthly is an example of "legitimate scholarship"?

2. Is it legitimate to dismiss political responses to the article as "brutish," "intolerable," and "unforgivable" because they "affront...Professor Herrnstein's personality"?

3. Do they have hard evidence that "personal harassment" of Professor Herrnstein has occurred?

4. Do they consider placards, leaflets, and picketing, described in the statement as "false and offensive," not to be within the realm of free speech?

We ask that they consider their answers to these questions in the light of the following arguments:

1. Professor Herrnstein, writing outside his own field of scholarship and drawing heavily on the professionally disputed scholarship of Arthur Jensen and others, published his article in a popular magazine without previously publishing his ideas in a scholarly journal. He used his status as a Harvard professor to establish an illegitimate claim to expertise before an unapprised readership.

2. In our society, an article which purports to give a scientific explanation for racial division and economic stratification is inherently political. By publishing his article in The Atlantic Monthly. Herrnstein stopped outside of the academic community into the areas of politics. Political acts precipitate political responses; Professor Herrnstein should be prepared to face the political opposition he has aroused.

3. If personal harassment of Professor Herrnstein has occurred, then hard evidence should be brought forth rather than unsubstantiated allegations.

4. Though they say that the "open-minded search for truth cannot proceed in as atmosphere of political intimidation," their characterization of placards, leaflets, and picketing as "brutish," "intolerable," and "unforgivable" itself constitutes intimidation of political protest. The statement they signed attempts both to censure the expression of free speech and to defend an outrageous example of irresponsible scholarship.  Robert B. Leflar '72  Phllip N. Alexander '73  Ronald L. Tresper, tutor  Harvey Nicholls '73  Donna J. Brorby '73  Kenneth R. Manning, tutor  Harllsos A. Lessios '73  Kenneth H. Hass '72  Frank R. Beaton '72  Betsy L. Wolf '73  Marcin A. Duncan '74  Bernard Lo, tutor  and 93 other members  of Dunster House