Racquetmen Are Heavily Favored Over Indians Despite Exam Break

By Robert W. Gerlach

Dartmouth's squash team traditionally beats Cornell to finish fifth in the Ivy League. This year, however, the Big Green has eight returning letter-men and four seniors with three years of varsity experience. Many Dartmouth squash fans had predicted a third-place finish, ahead of Princeton and Yale, for the Indians in the Ivy League.

At 3 p. m. this afternoon on the Hemenway courts, Harvard will easily defeat Dartmouth for the thirteenth consecutive year, probably by a 9-0 margin, and the Big Green will sink back into the Ivy cellar and look forward to a Feb, 20 match with Cornell.

Hopes Dashed

Dartmouth is 4-4 for the season and will probably finish above 500 since matches with Brown, Rochester, and Cornell remain on the schedule. But coach John Kenfield had hoped that the Indians would defeat Princeton and Yale, both suffering through mediocre seasons, for the first time in Dartmouth history. The Big Green fell to Princeton, 7-2, and Yale, 6-3 and has also lost to two Harvard victims, Williams, 6-3, and Amherst, 7-2.

Harvard's squash ladder is little changed from last term. Sophomore Peter Briggs will start at number one, Dave Fish will play at two, and Jaime Gonzalez has moved past Ed Atwood for the third position.

Senior Strength

Dartmouth will be led by senior captain Justin Stanley, who won five of twelve matches at number two last year. The Indians' most successful players this winter have been senior Jim Smith, who has won six of eight matches at number two, and sophomore Dong Donahue, who has advanced to number five on the ladder.