Big Three Track At Princeton

"I'm sure Princeton's thinking that this is the first year in a long time that they're going to knock Harvard off." head track coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday about the Big Three meet at Princeton today. "I'll be goddammed if they're going to do it."

Princeton appears a slight favorite in the meet because of its strength in the field events. "The question is: can we let our running overcome the anticipated point bulge that Princeton's going to get in the field events. They're twenty plus points ahead," McCurdy said.

McCurdy expressed concern over injuries to Dave Elliott and Bob Clayton. In the meet against Brown last weekend Elliott reinjured his foot while Clayton strained a muscle behind and just above his knee.

"Elliott's foot has really not responded and I'm quite concerned." McCurdy said. "He can run one race, but I wanted to use him in two or three."

"Clayton complicated the whole procedure by coming down with the flu. He just came out of the infirmary Thursday night." he said.

McCurdy discounted the possibility of a Yale victory. "Yale is just going to complicate matters." he said. "Of course I said that two years ago and they beat us."

Reached by phone last night. Princeton coach Larry Ellis said he felt the meet would be close. "I'm not going to climb out on the limb." he said.

Ellis has received much of the credit for the skillful play of the Tigers, who have a 10-1 record. "Coach Ellis simply inspires me." says Tom Yunck senior miler. "He has rejuvenated the atmosphere around here."

Princeton looks very strong in the shot put. Doug Greenwood has thrown over 63 feet, and team captain Joe Ahearn has a 59-foot throw on his record.

McCurdy expects to win in the 1000 and looks for strong performances in the mile, two-mile, and the relays. In addition, "we have to score significantly in the dash and hurdles," he said.