Matmen Lose to Tigers; Ivy Title Hopes Ruined

By Bradford B. Kopp

Harvard's varsity wrestling team lost its chance for the Ivy League championship with a 22-12 loss to Princeton at the IAB Saturday.

The match was closer than the score indicates as Harvard lost two individual bouts on riding time to give the Tigers the six points that made the difference.

The loss, Harvard's first in the Ivies, left only Princeton and Yale unbeaten in the League. The Tigers are highly favored to romp over Yale next week.

Harvard could not overcome Princeton's domination of the lower and heavier weight classes and lost a crucial match in the middle weight classes. The Crimson also failed to record a single pin despite its complete domination in three bouts.

Harvard fell behind quickly, 11-0, as the strongest part of the Princeton line-up went to work. Lee Klepper pinned 1d8-pounder Bob Ecob at 3:39. and Sleve Garner (126) decisioned Jerry Kahrilas, 8-3.

Al Uyeda, probably the best 134 in the East, turned in a spurt at the beginning of the second period to break a 3-3 tie and beat Josh Henson, 10-5.

Captain Pat Coleman (142) shot a takedown with ten seconds left to win and get the first Harvard points. But Dean Sheppard (150), ahead all the way, could not get out of the bottom in the third period and lost on riding time.

Harvard then proceeded to reel off three consecutive decisive wins to come within two points of the Tigers, 12-14. Colin Mangrum took a 7-1 decision, Mark Faller won, 12-5, and sophomore Richie Starr dominated his opponent for an 8-1 victory.

At 190 the Crimson had a break when Emil Deliere did not make the trip for Princeton, but his substitute, Steve Curtis, took Steve Seanlon to 7-7 and won on riding time, 9-7. Tom Dressel pinned Crimson heavyweight Tom Tripp at 2:45.

Although the Crimson proved to be good on its feet. taking 13 takedowns to only eight for Princeton, it seemed to have trouble establishing effective rides and pinning combinations.