Matmen Smash Cornell, Fall to Powerful Hofstra

The varsity wrestling team rolled over Cornell, 24-11, Friday to raise its Ivy League record to 2-0, but two consecutive matches proved too much, and New York-power Hofstra won, 26-6, the next day in the LAB.

Cornell only managed three decisions and a tie, while the Crimson came up with two pins and four decisions. By far the most important win for Harvard was Mark Faller's 6-2 decision over Mike Crandall at 167. The two were second and third respectively at the 1970 Easterns.

Although Cornell is 1-3 in the Ivy League, it has lost to League favorite Princeton and to Penn in a game in which the Big Red forfeited three matches. Both Harvard and Cornell beat Brown.

Against Cornell, the Crimson's lower weights began to rebound after an early-season low. At 126, despite weight problems, Jerry Kahrilas pinned in 4:44 and at 134 Josh Henson won, 7-4.

Captain Pat Coleman ran up a 6-0 decision before Colin Mangrum tied Big Red captain Ray Pavelka. Then Faller and Richie Starr with a 3-1 decision clinched the match for Harvard.

Dave Scanlon, returning to action from a knee injury, lost, 5-4, and heavy-weight Angelo Marino finished the match with a pin.

"Hofstra had good kids where good kids were, and they pulled out some close matches," Lee said. "But they were the better team. They wrestle a tough schedule-for example Iowa State, who won last year's NCAAs."

John Peters at 142 and heavyweight Tom Tripp were the only winners for the Crimson, Kahrilas and Henson both lost one-point decisions, and Faller lost to Bill Stauffer, who is 12-0 this year.