Spengler, Enscoe Set Mile Record in Crimson Victory

Harvard's varsity track team easily swept to its eighth consecutive Greater Boston Track and Field championship Saturday night at the Indoor Track Bubble. The Crimson won six events and collected 1041/2 points to far outdistance second-place Northeastern (53 points).

The highlight of the lopsided meet was the mile. Tom Spengler edged teammate John Enscoe at the wire to win the race. Both Spengler and Enscoe were timed in 4:05.8, a new facility, GBC, and New England competitive indoor record.

Tufts' Bob Ryan was the favorite in the mile, having beaten both Spengler and Enscoe at the Boston Garden last weekend. Ryan set a fast pace from the start of the race but was passed just before the gun lap.

Spengler and Enscoe ran shoulder to shoulder for the last lap, and the final margin of victory was only a lean at the tape. Spengler, who also finished fourth in the 1000 and ran on the winning two-mile relay team, was voted the meet's outstanding performer.

Sophomores Dave Elliot and Bob Clayton also tied facility records. Elliot edged Northeastern's Ralph Bowman to win the 1000 in 2:11.3, and Clayton easily won in the 600.

In one of the important individual bottles, weightman Ed Nosal, the defending NCAA champion, beat North-eastern's Tom Sirois, the IC4A title holder, by tossing the 35-1b. weight 60' 3", four inches farther than Sirois.