Cagers Move Into Second By Topping Weak Big Red

By Jonathan P. Carlson

The Crimson basketball team rebounded its way to a 22-point half-time lead over Cornell Saturday night in the IAB, and held on in the second half to top the Big Red, 104-90.

Harvard's victory, which was coupled with Columbia's 78-73 loss to Dartmouth Saturday night, gave it sole possession of second place in the League standings with a 9-3 record in Ivy play.

In the freshman preliminary Saturday night, the Harvard freshman basketball team, paced by Tony Jenkins's 32 points, crushed the Tufts freshman team, 98-58, for its 11th triumph against five losses.

Jenkins, who also had 12 rebounds, broke two freshman records in the contest. With two games remaining, he has 417 total points, five more than James Brown's record total last season, and has 277 rebounds, seven more than Floyd Lewis's record total last year. Jenkins is averaging 27 points and 18 rebounds per game.

In the varsity game, the Crimson jumped to a 14-point advantage after six minutes with a tough defense that forced Cornell out of its offensive patterns. Captain Dale Dover, for the second game in a row, led the Harvard fast break and full-court press.

Senior Hal Calbom. who scored eight points in the first six minutes, provided the initial offensive punch. Sophomore James Brown paced Harvard with 20 points, and sophomore Floyd Lewis contributed 19 points. Calbom. Brian Newmark, and Marshall Sanders also scored in double figures.

At the end of the first half, the Crimson had moved ahead, 61-39. But in the second half, Harvard. apparently tired from pressing in two consecutive contests, let up, and Cornell climbed back into the game.

"Our plan was to try and slow them down, because when they're not moving, they don't use all that talent," Cornell coach Jerry Lace said after the game. "We slowed them down for a while, but pretty soon they'll just wear you down," he said.

Harvard started standing around on offense in the second half, and, as a result, had 15 turnovers compared to Cornell's six in the last half.

"I'm disappointed in the way we played the second half. and I don't know what happened," Harvard head coach Bob Harrison said after the triumph. "Our rebounding just stopped when we should have buried them alive," he said.

The game ended with a 20-yard football pass by 6' 40" sophomore Fred Lang that banged in the basket at the final buzzer.