FRESHMEN

By Stan Gacek and Dave Samuels

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In the CRIMSON of February 13 there appeared an article by Mark Frazier which reported on a conversation among a cross-section of Harvard freshmen who supposedly typified the entire freshman class. An informal conversation with a small number of freshmen cannot be used to represent the entire opinion of the class with verity. Mr. Frazier's investigation might have clarified the ideas of a diminutive faction of the freshman class; it did nothing more than that.

While the philosophy of living solely for the present and not being concerned about the future which permeated this article does apply to certain elements of our class, we believe that the generalized way in which this philosophy was portrayed gives an extremely distorted, one-sided view of the class as a whole. Freshmen may not be the naive optimists that freshmen at Harvard used to be, but there are a large number of freshmen who are working quietly and diligently to accomplish what little they can now while carefully preparing themselves for the meaningful role that they hope to play in changing this society in the future. Only when these people are taken into account can you have anything resembling a meaningful picture of the Class of 1974.