Kobick, Horvitz Selected As Swimming Co-Captains

By Bennett H. Beach

The swimming team has elected backstroker Dan Kobick and sprinter Paul Horvitz co-captains for the 1972 season. It is the first time that two leaders have been picked.

The final decision came after an hour-and-a-half meeting Monday afternoon. The team first decided that it wanted an alternative to the traditional one-captain system and considered making all of next year's seniors captains.

But eventually co-captains seemed most reasonable, apparently because of some recent friction on the team about certain policies. "Having one captain would have meant alienating part of the team," Horvitz said last night. "The meeting was a really interesting exercise in democracy."

Neither has any definite innovations in mind for next year. Kobick explained that planning will be impossible until Harvard names a successor to retiring coach Bill Brooks in late April or early May.

Kobick is the best backstroker in Harvard history, holding the records for both 100 and 200 yards, but he has had a rather disappointing season along with the rest of the team.

Horvitz's performances are marked by their consistency, as he has regularly picked up points in the sprints behind two-year captain Mike Cahalan and has been a vital member of the relay teams.