Four Crimson Squads Choose New Captains

By J. C. and R. N. G.

Several winter squads have elected new captains for next year. Brian Newmark will lead the basketball team, Geza Tettrallay will head the fencing team. Collin Mangrum was selected by the wrestling team, and Dave Fish is the new captain of the squash squad.

Newmark was the sixth-leading scorer on this winter's basketball team. "I think it's a just reward for a hard worker, who was our most consistent ballplayer this season," head coach Bob Harrison said yesterday. "And when I look over the Ivy League centers, I don't see one better than Brian," he added.

Newmark averaged 6.1 points a game and pulled down 4.5 rebounds per contest. He also had the highest shooting percentage, 56 per cent, of any regular.

The election of Tettrallay as captain of the fencing team came as no surprise to most fencing observers. As a sophomore, he fenced in the NOAA's with Larry Cetrulo and Tom Keller, helping the Crimson to a second-place finish.

After a year's leave of absence, Tettrallay returned to fencing this fall but knee injuries prevented him from reaching his potential. He finished the season strong, easily defeating three Yale opponents in a dual match and winning seven bouts at the Easterns.

Tatitrallay is planning on knee surgery this summer and should be able to fence with abandon, his best style, next year. "I think he's going to be a good captain," fencer Don Valentine said. "I think that we will have a good team nest year, and that will help."

Also bothered by a knee injury, wrestler Mangrum finished his junior year with a 9-7 dual-meet mark at 158 pounds.

"Collin is as dedicated as anyone I've ever had," coach John Lee said. "He's the type of gutty guy who never misses a practice."

After the knee injury forced him to miss three meets, Mangrum won two key bouts at the end of the season.

With Harvard fighting for second place in the Ivy League, Mangrum beat Yale captain Chris Legg, 7-6, in a match he was supposed to lose. The Crimson went on to nip the Elis, 19-15.

In the last meet of the year, he took a 6-0 decision to help Harvard beat the Quakers, 19-16, and the team finished with its best record ever, 14-5.

Harvard's squash team was supposed to be without a top individual player this year. But Fish surprised many observers by advancing from number five on last year's squad to number one for most of the past season.

At the top position. Fish went undefeated and was the only player to beat Williams's Ty Griflin and Penn's Eliot Berry during the season. At the intercollegiates. Fish was seeded fifth in the tournament and was eliminated in an extremely close match with Penn's Palmer Page.

Typical of his determination, Fish passed up the intra-team Foster Cup tournament because he wanted to start practicing for the tennis team the day after the squash intercollegiates.