Harvard Reaches Finals Of Fencing Championship

By Martin R. Garay iii

The Crimson's NCAA fencing squad, composed of Larry Cetrulo. Tom Keller, and Mickey Irvings, has qualified for the final round in the NCAA Fencing Championships being help at the Air Force Academy in Boulder, Colorado. Team and individual championships will be determined at the end of competition this afternoon.

Forty schools entered a three-man squad in the NCAA championships which began on Thursday. Of those 120 competitors, 72 have made the final round, 24 at each weapon. Harvard, along with 11 other schools, placed all three of its fencers in the final competition.

In the final round each contestant will have to fence 23 bouts. Twelve were fenced yesterday, and 11 are being fenced this morning. Team and individual championships will be (??) the number of bouts each contestant wins.

The Crimson has an outside chance of taking the team championship, and may win two individual championships. Keller, who has finished second in the NCAA's for the last two years, has the best chance to win, especially after his excellent performance at the Easterns last week, where he finished in second place and won the Cointe Award for Good Sportsmanship.

Cetrulo can win the individual championship at the saber with little difficulty, if he is able to bring his nervous energy under control. In the Easterns, he lost at least three bouts when he overcharged his opponents and inadequately planned his attacks.

Irvings has the potential to do well at the NCAA's. The only question is whether he can forget about the championship, and just think about fencing each bout one at a time.