After the Occupation...

Women Work for Center

By Linda E. Berkeley

One week has passed since the women occupying Harvard's Architectural Technology Workshop left the building. According to Archibald Cox '34, professor of Law and University troubleshooter, "no action against them has been filed in court yet."

Cox refused to comment last night on the number of people the University has identified in connection with the building take-over saying, "I have no statement to make about evidence we have or don't have."

In the meantime, many of the women who occupied the building at 888 Memorial Drive for almost nine days have continued working towards creating a permanent Women's Center. "It's harder to watch us now," one of the women said yesterday, "because we're mostly working in basements and houses, but we are working, and we really do believe that we're finally going to get a Women's Center."

About 80 women attended a communal dinner last Tuesday night at the "Corners of the Mouth" restaurant in Inman Square where they organized themselves into action groups.

One action group has been consulting with various real estate developers in an attempt to locate another building for a Women's Center. One woman said they hope to have a building by June.

"The day we left the building on Memorial Drive," one of the women explained last night, "we called five churches, looking for a place to have an organizational meeting, but none of them could give us a room within the week, so wewere forced to go to a restaurant."

"An experience like this made us realize the need to get another building for a Women's Center as quickly as possible," the woman continued, "so that the cohesiveness we have now doesn't fall apart."

A second action group will sponsor benefits and other fund-raising activities to raise the estimated $35,000 needed to obtain a building, one group member said yesterday.

A third action group hopes to provide day-care from 9 to 5, as well as "emergency day-care centers" giving women child care facilities on a 24-hour basis. The group will study methods of "radical child-raising" based on the idea of a community of children.

Speaking about their demand for low-income housing, one woman said yesterday, "It's Harvard's move. If Harvard makes good their promises to the Riverside Planning Team, we may be able to work things out."