Watson Reviews Munro's Status as Soccer Coach

By Robert W. Gerlach

Bruce Munro may not return as Harvard varsity soccer coach next fall.

Robert B. Watson, director of Athletics, has been meeting with Munro and all the senior and junior members of last year's soccer team to determine whether Munro should be asked to step down from the coaching position he has held for 23 years.

Watson initiated the review after several players approached him at the end of the fall season and criticized Munro's leadership.

After meeting with the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports last week. Watson said. "It is my decision that Munro should stay and be given another chance. My mind is not made up and I could still easily be persuaded to alter my decision. There's a lot to be said for both sides."

The final decision is Watson's. but he will not make a definite commitment until after an April 14 meeting of the faculty committee at which several juniors on the squad will speak.

At the end of the soccer season, the varsity squad voted with only one dissenting vote that captain Charlic Thomas should initiate talks with Watson and Franklin L. Ford, chairman of the faculty committee, to review Munro's appointment.

Thomas refused last night to discuss the actual content of the meetings to date. "We are going through all the right channels in a very respectable way because it's very important to remember this is a human issue. Munro is very personally involved in the talks." Thomas said. "The juniors on the team have decided as a unit not to talk to the press until after Watson announces his decision following the April 14 meeting."

"I have been criticized by a few agitators who are going around behind my back to the athletic administrations," Munro said last night. "Sol's interference has stirred up a lot of bullshit."

Asked if he would resign if he were approached by a majority of the team players, Munro said. "There is no way I would step down. I will stand behind my record. particularly in the past year when we went to the nationals. I don't in any way accept the criticisms that Gomez. has created. There are so many phantasies going around."

"I have been told by the Athletic department administration and the members of the faculty committee that I have their complete backing," Munro said yesterday.

"I must say that my sympathies lie very, very much with the students," Watson said on Monday. "But it's not an easy decision."

But Sol Gomez, last year's team captain. has openly expressed his disap-proval of Munro's coaching last fall. In a letter to Watson at the end of the season, Gomez criticized Munro for being unqualified to teach soccer skills, impersonal with players, and not authoritative in his selection of a starting team.

Gomez said last week that Watson told him only one present member of the soccer team had indicated he would play under Munro if the coach returns.

"Munro pitted one player against the other during the season," Gomez said. "We had a meeting with our two goalies during the year. I said, 'You told this guy he was the best and you told this guy he was the best.' He admitted it, but he didn't change. He'll try to make promises until I graduate."

Gomez also cited incidents where Munro had not been receptive to suggestions. "During the Hartwick game, I went up to him and told him to put Messing in for Meyers. He didn't say no. He wouldn't even turn around and look me in the face."

"I had my choice before the game and I wouldn't have changed my mind if he was the King of England asking." Munro said last night.

"After the game, a big game like that, he didn't say a word to the team. He never even said. Poor game' or 'well-played,' " Gomez said.

Finally, Gomez questioned Munro's ability to teach the team. "He hasn't taught us a thing in three years," Gomez said. "He has been here 20 years but the game is too sophisticated for him today. In practice, he'd yell 'bad kick' but he never came out there and showed a guy how to use his foot. He's quick to blame but he never instructs."

Watson defended his tentative decision, saying "The coach has never been warned before. He's been here 23 years and has an extraordinary record on paper. He can't be removed by the whim of a few students in one season."

But Watson agreed-that his interviews with players indicated it would be extremely difficult to keep Munro. "Once you've lost respect and confidence in a coach. it's extraordinarily difficult to restore it," he said.

Asked if he could reach a compromise with the critical players next fall, Munro stated that they would have to "come out and play under my orders or leave the team."