Dunlop's Group Asks Wage, Price Controls

A Presidential committee headed by Dean Dunlop recommended new measures yesterday for controlling wages and prices in the construction industry.

Reinstate

The group proposed that President Nixon reinstate a Federal law requiring that the government pay prevailing union wages on Federal construction sites. Nixon suspended the law February 23, after the construction unions had refused to agree to self-regulation.

According to the Associated Press, the President may sign an executive order as early as Monday approving the committee's recommendations.

Wage Boards

The committee's proposal apparently represents the agreement of the unions to accept wage boards for each craft in the industry in return for the reinstatement of the Federal law. The boards would issue wage guidelines. Since the suspension of the law, the government has set wages independently of the unions.

Supervising the wage boards will be a "stabilization committee" consisting of representatives of the government management, and labor. The Federal government will make public any wage agreements which exceed the wage board's guidelines.