Harvard's Duehay Opposes School Board Appointment

By F. MICHAEL Shear

Francis H. Duchay, Vice Chairman of the Cambridge School Committee, yesterday called the appointment of Francis J. Frisoli '35 as permanent Superintendant of Schools an "irresponsible act" and "criminal neglect of the education of Cambridge school children."

Frisoli has been Acting Superintendant since last summer.

The School Committee confirmed Frisoli's appointment Tuesday night, two days after it announced the names of five finalists in its nationwide search for a successor to Edward A. Conley.

Duehay-who is the Dean of Admissions and Studies at the Ed School-said that the committee bypassed interviews with the five finalists scheduled during the next two weeks. The committee had indicated it would involve students, faculty and community groups in these interviews.

Duehay explained that while Frisoli "deserves and has my respect" for his work as acting superintendent, he is "poorly qualified [for the permanent post] by virtue of his educational background, recent administrative performance, and temperament."

Moreover, Duehay said. "rules and regulations in the high school remained unenforced [since disruptions at Cambridge schools last spring] and a major reorganizational study of the high schools ordered by the School Committee last April remained untouched until the events of three weeks ago forced the committee into an emergency reorganization."

Tempermental Problem

Student disorders at Cambridge High and Latin School three weeks ago resulted in Cambridge police being summoned.

As examples of Frisoli's "temperamental problems," Duehay cited two occasions on which Frisoli walked out of public committee meetings, threatening to resign.

"He has humiliated teachers, parents and students in his office," Duehay said of Frisoli, "and the black communityhas been deeply outraged by things Mr. Frisoll has said in the past."

Frisoli responded vehemently to Duehay's criticism.

"I accuse Duehay of being prejudiced against me throughout my career," Frisoli said, adding that Duehay is "more responsible for the mess in the Cambridge schools today-directly responsible for the retirement of my two predecessors-than anyone else in Cambridge.

"I'm sorry that Duehay doesn't realize that the majority rules in a democracy," he continued. "I've been duly elected by the representatives of the community. Don't blame me."

"Let Duehay go over to the Boston schools if he wants to see some real problems," Frisoli said. "I'm glad that we've had no bloodshed. I'm not a racist, and neither am I a progressive nor a conservative; but when the time has come to say no, I have said it firmly.

"I'm just as sincere as Mr. Duehay is in doing the best for the kiddos of Cambridge."